Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is my first time teaching in a classroom setting. This is very educational and will definitely keep in mind the startegies taught in the module.

The ice breaker methods work well and setup the class for the syllabus if done right. Then the student have a good platform to understand what the instructor and class is expecting of them.

I need to make sure that students are clear about assignment due dates

The most important idea I have learned is that students need a reason to learn. The key is to get them to buy into the course. Students become motivated when they personalize the course content to their career goals. They see relevancy and application of the content in their career preparation and success after graduation. They should create an image of them as successful employees in their chosen career. 

students function within 3 areas: cognitive, social, psychomotor

always have an icebreaker for the first meeting of class.  I ask the students to find a new friend and interview them, using the hand-out that I give them.  Questions include some background information about themselves and then reasons for taking this class.  Students introduce their new friend by the answers they received.

Deinfe course outlines, objectives, grading criteria, due dates etc into the syllabus. Also remind students of deadlines for assignments with emails, in person during lecture as well.

It's important to state expectations of students clearly and right at the beginning of a class.

First class ice breaker and declaring expectations and consequences is time used well. I will implement the ideas I learned here while working with center stage students.

To have open communication between your students. Using different color paper, fonts to highligh import parts of the syllabus. 

Icebreakers with teamwork and movement are very important to bring anxiety down in the begining of a class

I tried to have an ice breaker on the first day of class, but I also learned so far that if the students understand all the expectation from the beginning it will be a smoother experience for them. 

When facilitating discussions, help students to recognize they can share their experience even if they don't have expertise on the subject.  As the teacher, help explain or rephrase my understanding of what the student is saying and how it may tie into a bigger concept.

I learned alot about the icebreaker and about the late policy - I intend to use both in the upcoming semester.

Seth Soronnadi

Not to forget that; "Students most frequently give as a reason not knowing the due date. By having the due dates in the syllabus, on the board, and verbal reminders, students should have no excuse for not knowing the deadline date. These reminders will also protect you, if there is a complaint filed by a student."

The syllabus is a key component in setting expectations for students.  I always review the course syllabus during the first class session.  It is also important to check for student comprehension of course assignments and expectations.  Provide ample opportunity for students to ask questions in order to clarify anything they do not understand.  

I learned how student management also includes class management which includes managing the physical setting and educational experience.  It is important to reach every student using varies teaching strategies. 

Be a supportive and encouraging presence to your students

I like to try to get to know my students on the first day of class.  I usually ask them to tell the class something about themselves. If time permits we may do an activity.   

It is very important students understand grading system.  They need to know what assignments are weighted heavily so they understand what they need to focus their time on.  Also professionals are expected to complete projects/work within expected time frames.  Students need to understand this professional behavior is expected of class work.  They need to develop good work behaviors.

It is important to have a good syllabus l,to avoid any miscommunication.

Sign In to comment