Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting clear expectations at the beginning of the course sets the tone for the entire school year.

Letting the students know the instructor's expectations and when to draw the line in the sand.

I've learned to set standards review the syllabus and make sure students know what is required of them and what expectations I have from the students.

I always enjoy icebreakers because it allows me to get to know my class (and helps me remember names). I have a better understanding of what needs to be outlined clearly in the syllabus to support student success and limit any confusion.

Be a role model and provide reminders about upcoming due dates, etc

ice breakers

assignment due reminders

missed assignment expectations, penalties, etc

Provide team builders for motivation and to get to know each other. Set boundaries from the beginning with grading and late assignments. Always make notes about what is worked well in the class and failures with lesson plans for future classes. 

I want to utilize more ice breakers to help the class get to know one another and get to know me. 

I appreciate the encouragement to remain firm with rules and expectations.  Especially in regards to turning in late assignments.

Making the class structure to where students feel a personal investment towards their career is a great way to generate interest in a class. Also breaking the ice helps with initial anxiety. 

The first day, the Syllabus day, is a very important day to establish a good, healthy, strong bond (onset of a journey) with the students. Also, I like the idea of having ice-breaker exercies. I am so glad to know about how students own the expectations part of the course and how we help them visualize them. Being firm is important too!

Getting students involved, helping them to work through an ideal or solution.  Guiding is important.

Psychomotor ice breaker

I've learned that the syllabus can be a strength or weakness to classroom leadership.  From a student perspective, I've seen the syllabus be utilize as a self learning method where it's the students responsibility to review the syllabus.  Unfortunately, the previous approach  only considers one style of learning.  I appreciate the focus on key bullet points of the syllabus by using different font or bolded fonts to get key messages accross to the students.  

There are good points on this module that keeps your students engage in class. Also there is good ice brakers that help you ease the class in to knowing each other and get them to sstar talking to one another. 

I HAVE LEARNED THAT SETTING EXPECTATIONS FOR YOUR STUDENTS AHEAD OF TIME WILL PROVIDE THEM WITH ADEQUETE NOTICE OF THE MATERIAL, BEHAVIOR, AND RULES TO BE EXPECTED FROM THEM.  I WILL APPLY ICE BRAKERS AS A FUN FORM OF INTRODUCING TEACHER AND STUDENTS IN VARIOUS ACTIVITIES.

SYLLABUS IS VERY IMPORTANT AT THE BEGINNING OF CLASS

Having an ice breaker that might be relevant to living situations or areas they live. I work in a High School and yes we must give students multiple chances for late work so that is almost a given at most high schools. I will put a reduction in the grade or try to have makeup work done after or before school out of regular class. I try to use coaches and parents as must as possible to help motivate students about deadlines and write on the board the week's goals and grades and put all grades in by the end of the week. I personally need to do a better job of making my syllabus more accurate as they are in college and next school year I will not have parents sign them anymore. I will take a day in the first week going over it and at that time all students will sign it.

This is my first faculty position, yet I remember being a student within the last two years.  My courses were online, and the ones I am teaching are now virtual with very little in-seat classtime due to Covid-19.  The virtual classroom is quite different, yet all the information is provided for the student up front.  

I know that I will be asking them "Who benefits from your progression through this program?"  I want them to think about it, and definitely want to do the best they can for the right reason.

It's also important to point out to the college student that it is definitely different than high school.  They are adults and should be acting as adults.  I'm sure I will need to help them grasp some of the expectations of adults.

Icebreakers can help the instructor set up the students for success. I usually give an assignment where there are no wrong answers. Its an ehtical decision assignment that lets me know how the students think and what they value. 

The assignment is the one with 5 people standing on a bus, each with some reason you should or could give up your own seat for. Students give a good reason for why they choose one person over the other and they always give away the vlaue system from whch they were brought up. 

Sign In to comment