Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having taught high school for many years I am surprised to find that my adult studenets are not all too much different. 

I think what I have taken from this section includes something applicable which is fostering a method to take what student's share and helping them through it in a way that makes them and others feel more comfortable to share. I think  a challenge is how to get those who do not share more engaged without feeling singled out?

Having a clear and consice syllubus with student and instrutor expectiations and set dates for assignements so that there is no gray area.

I picked up from this module that I am the subject matter expert (SME) and the instructional delivery expert(IDE) -- for my personal development I must try to set a balance between the two.

This topic on Class Management was very informative and gave me many tools to take back to the classroom with me.
I love icebreakers. They are fun and get most any group involved to accomplish a common goal. I agree. It does help to have a clear and concise course syllabus. It gives students an understanding of the difference between the course's expectations and requirements, making them accountable for dates and time tests and projects are due. Also, utilizing SME or IDE, students are more apt to buy into your instructional guide with the expectation that the knowledge and skills learned will lead to a successful outcome.

I see that the instructor clearly outlines the class and expectations and it is helpful for the students.  I also like learning the buy in.  Something that I do for the students.  This is how I motivate them.  I am not teaching them something that is just required.  I am teaching them skills and knowledge that will help them excel in their career.  So, before I start class I tell them this.  I like the paper airplane activity as an icebreaker and a way to help students to understand teamwork.  

After every class, take 20mins to reflect on how the class went. Compare thoughts on what was going to happen for class versus how the class actually went and assess the gaps. Or write what worked versus what didn't and what you would like to see in class. Create icebreakers that get students to collaborate in teams. Help students share freely by providing a safe environment through guiding and probing questions of their ideas.

Im going to improve  my situational awarness.

Be aware is essential.

Ice breakers are a valuable tool to use. Preparing a course syllabus is a must have for students

Letting the students know the course objectives sets the tone for the rest of the year

students often have two anxieties about a new course  which is 1.) do i get a fair chance to get in? 2.) what level of expertise is required to share?

first day of a course should cover syllabus and course content and expectation for your students. Due dates should be a larger font and easy to find as well as warnings about the due date approaching. have a progressive penalty for late work.

I learned the importance of having that open communication but setting expectations from day one. It's importance to have multiple reminders of assignments.

I like the scaffolding 20% on late or missing assignments so students have a clear understanding of how much time they have to get work in. I believe the syllabus is a great way to get your expectations across to students and parents from day ONE.

I enjoy breaking the ice with students by having them share a bit about themselves and what brought them back to school.  We utilize the syllabus techniques you mention however perhaps deducting points may be a good way to let them see for themselves what is happening. 

I like the idea of asking "what do I expect to happen" and afterwards "what actually happened?" as a way to reflect on your teaching and working to make the "fantasy" line up with the reality. 

I also like the paper plane activity and will try that out tomorrow as a way to build bth teamwork and leadership 

I like the idea od "What's in it for me" It's important to make the class relevant 

I enjoyed walking through this section, as it gave me words of encouragement that I am doing a good job as a new instructor. I do need to work on making sure I am following my own expectations that are in the syllabus. 

If you take the time to explain why an assignment is to be done, then, students are more willing to ensure that it is done & done correctly.

You should be the role model, providing the steps to their success.

Sign In to comment