Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

i learned to create a late policy for students to have a dead line for their assignments. I can apply this by reminding the students that points will be taken if the assignment is turned in late.

Be positive and aware.

Understand the motto of what is in it for me. Makes the content relatable for individuals. I also like the ice breakers for how to engage students like working together or creating team captains with a fun experiment of flying paper airplanes. Reviewing the syllabus in detail and setting expectations day one. 

I like the "Ice Breaker " Ideas and I implement a question sequence  that allows each student to answer a few questions about themselves, I also have each student introduce themselves with fun facts, hobbies or anything interesting about themselves.

The class or course should begin with a robust sense of organization speckled with a light-hearted sense of purpose and expectations. During this introduction the issue of basic ground rules should be conveyed such as attendance, assignments being completed on time, class participation, individual participation, individual responsibilities and responsibilities to one another. This does not have to heavy – it can be done while changing gears and shifting into related course material while introducing yourself to the class and sharing your own experiences. This initial class meeting should not be concluded without discussing consequences. At the same time, emphasis should be placed on everyone having a vision for success – not only throughout the course, but meeting their ultimate goal, becoming an Aviation Maintenance Professional.

It is always a great reminder to use the syllabus as a means of establishing class policies and expectations and not having it stand as just another document the student will experience. The syllabus is, by far, the most important document the student will handle. It establishes the expectations for the entire duration of time you spend with them.

Comment on Shelley Freshman's post: I love Icebreakers as well. I also have the students make a tent out of an index card and keep it ono their desk for at least the first week. It helps me learn names and helps them learn each others names as well.

I think it is important to make the class interesting to the students. Generally, if the student enjoys being in class, there are few attendance issues. I have had students challenge me on late work in the past. Thankfully, I set clear boundaries in the announcements, which helped me reinforce the expectation

I have learned how to be more constructive when it comes to late and missing assignments. I also loved applying the golden rule… the person with the gold gets to rule. 

From this module, I have learned the importance of always making sure that I answer the question, WIIFM, as it relates to teaching new information/concepts.

I really like the airplane game, I think I'll work that in somehow or as a filler for some curriculum. I also really like the idea of when I try new curriculum that I should always write down afterward how I thought it would go and how it went, so I can change it up and figure out what was missing or what I can improve. 

I learned that a student will be motivated when they have the responsibility of personalizing the content of the course. I will start to implement this activity. It is smart.

I will add more information to my syllabus such as calendars and deadlines.

I want to start blending the ice breakers with team building exercises. 

A good review of my responsibilities at the beginning of a new class.  Making a clear policy for late and missing assignments is a great idea.  Having students each read sections of and ask questions on the syllabus has been effective with some cohorts.

What's in it for me? Remembering that that is a NATURAL instinct. They're not slacking by approaching their classes this way! 

Icebreakers are very helpful in getting to know our students and their names. keeping expectations clear and consistent moving forward 

I liked the reinforcement of connecting real-world scenarios with what students are learning because it will not only get them more engaged but also encourage more retention of what they are learning. 

What I have taken from this is to make sure I have something in place to show for missed assignments and late work.

I will set multiple reminders for due dates such as posting it on the board, on schoology, and the syllabus. Deducting points for the assignment being late is important and it will not always be the same students submitting late assignments. 

Sign In to comment