Setting the Stage for Success | Origin: ED104
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Class Management Strategies--> Setting the Stage for Success
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
Setting clear expectations and creating a positive classroom environment can make a big difference in how successful students are. I have found that students do better when they know what is expected of them and understand why they are doing an assignment. In my classroom, I can apply this by treating projects more like real world assignments, giving students clear expectations and deadlines, and helping them understand how the skills they are learning will apply to the workplace.
After going through this course I have learned that what I have been doing is on track with the cousre.
Clear expectations with students on the first day of class using the course syllabus will help set the tone for the rest of the class term.
I have learned to be precise and straight to the point of what my syllabus is to my students. This will help them know the difference in expectations and requirements.
Establishing the criteria for class is vital. The syllabus can become the road map for students follow throughout the term.
The first day as well as the first week is very important. Explaining class expectations, skills that will be performed and day that they will be performed unless unexpected changes are needed. Explain grading system and deadlines for assignments.
One new thought for me was giving examples of assignments or projects at the beginning of the course. I do give them a PreTest as an example already, but it might be helpful to do something similar with the writing assignments.
Clear and organized syllabus are key. Gives the students a way to see deadlines, content, policies so they can best be successful in the class!
First day expectations are important so students will know what is expected of them. This shows my confidence in the subject matter, giving the students confidence that they will learn what is needed from the program. It is helpful to have the most important info in the syllabus, highlighted or bold so students can reference back and find important info easily.
I learned I need to redo my syllabus to make my expectations more clear so the students will know what to expect. That was really helpful to me.
Clearly expressing grading deadlines gives students clear guidelines.
Clearly stating deadlines and making sure that students understand the expectations from them
So far in this course on Classroom management, I have learned and will implement:
Descibe to the students what’s in it for them - how successful complete will help them in their career field. Also, I will have a Quiz activity to complete individually, then group students to review together. I will also Define expectations, have a class Ice breaker, and provide Multiple reminders about due assignment dates to ensure timely submissions and avoid appeals that state they didn’t know when assignments were due.
Students need to know the purpose and goal of what you are teaching. They need to know they are part of the learning team. Teachers need to keep in mind that students want to know, "What's In It For Me?"
Being clear about deadlines and make sure that expectations are discussed.
Setting clear and concise expectations for the course day 1.
I have learned to set up clear expectations with students the very first day of class using the course syllabus as the most powerful tool to help them remain focused on the course contents, activities, and communication.
I have learned to be clear about assignment deadlines and that activities that involve teamwork during course teachings will help keep students engaged.
I learned the importance of proactive planning and establishment clear, structured goals in the project.