Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is imperative that the course objectives and learning expectations are presented to the students. Moreover, the instructors' methodology for evaluating students' progress (cognitive and technical skills) should also be included. This is to make students at ease and less anxious at the beginning of the class/clinical.

Ice breaker are good way for students to open up

I will revise our syllabus and add the late assignment rule

I always work on teambuilding strategies at the beginning of the course. I learned to utilize more colorful illustrations of the most important content in the syllabus. I will apply this in my course.

Ice breakers are good to find out what your students are like with their responses. You learn a lot by listening.

Setting the tone for the class by doing ice breakers, setting clear expectations, and showing students who you are as their instructor are all helpful as students try to figure out what's in it for me? That first day is the most crucial day because it can make or break the rest of the term. Showing students what and how and where and when are all crucial to student success. 

I like the idea of setting the expectations early and having them in the syllabus.  There has to be a way for the students to know how to succeed in each class that they take.  Everyone wants to be successful and the instructor can make that possible with clear guidelines and expectations. 

The structure of creating a course syllabus is a great guide for students to follow through out the course. 

I have learned from experience people always remember how you made them feel rather what you really did for them to help. As nurses we are conditioned to always jump to help first but  It is very important usually during first meeting with student opening the opportunity for communication and try to find out some information about themselves , this also helps me to kind of understand about what they like and interest them. When new topic is introduced finding something to talk about as ice breaker to engage them also is important.

Setting the expectations so students know EXACTLY what is expected of them. This is made clearly on the first day of class. However it is important to remind people throughout the quarter of dates and time of assignments that are due. Some students are more invested in their education than others.

Use things to get the students engaged and comfortable in the classroom and with each other.

I need to get better about ice breakers.  I also need to clarify my late policy on missing assignments. 

It’s important that students have a good understanding of what they’re doing in the classroom and how it can be applied to working in the field. I’ve also learned that it is necessary to establish firm boundaries with certain policies to avoid losing control of the classroom. 

Provide a welcoming personalized environment to students encouraging buy in day 1. Set standards within the syllabus, be available for group and individual feed-back, and assure them you are there to guide them in achieving their professional goals.  

There is a purpose to ice breakers. 

Setting clear due dates in the syllabus for my students will help prevent missing and late assignments. 

Staying positive. 

Reinforcement.

Make them see the end product in the mind.

Set clear cut expectations and structure for learning.  Encourage students to move to a higher level of education with support. 

I have learned some great strategies.

I often find the first day of class as awkward as most students. Each year, it gets easier and less awkward. As an icebreaker, I have my students guess what the other students are doing in the studying. We start with each person providing their name, and that's it. They then decided what program each student was studying and a hobby they thought they had. I challenge them to get creative with it. After everyone was done, we started reading them. By the time we are done, we are laughing at the assumptions. Each student then tells about their program and their hobbies. I finish the introduction by reminding students that we should never think we know something based on exterior perception and that things are not always what they appear. I also use this time to talk to the students about the course objectives and learning outcomes, being the minimum I will teach them and that they will get out of this class additional information if they are active, present, and listen. I provide each class with a homework schedule and class discussion outline.

Sign In to comment