Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I often model my classroom and it rules to that of the work place. Granted I work within a prison. Setting rules and clear expectations is crucial to any classroom and students development into the adulthood and work place. 

It is important to set clear expectations of the class and deadlines and what will be acceptable in the syllabus

Be clear and concise both verbally and in writing of all expectations. Be creative in how you present information and get student involvement in groups as well as individual learning. Make learning new things interesting and fun.  Provide surveys for students to fill out regarding a teacher feedback.   

the syllabus and outline of a course is very important to communicate and have documentation on first day of class and throughout entire curriculum as this will set the tone of how you manage a class. Emphasizing the importance of handing in assignments on time, deadlines and course participation prepares the student of what lies ahead and pre-sets success for the students. remind students of what real world expectations are in the career they are striving for and what these expectations actually look like in the real workforce.

Giving the students the clear expectations and rationale behind them can increase their awareness in following the rules to be successful.

I like to use ice breakers to introduce the class to myself and the whole class. Covering the syllabus in class is important so that all questions can be answered, and expectations are put into place. 

I think it's very important to set expectations and how you will deal with non-compliance. Also like to point out that employers are not going to accept poor performance, or poor punctuality. 

Pertaining to sending the syllabus with the calendar of activities two weeks before the start of the semester helps a lot with my students to what the deadlines for each assignment. Reminding the students of the late policy of the college reduces the arguments from the students.

An ice breaker is always a good idea, it helps relieve anxiety and open up the pathway for teamwork.  I also spend alot of time educating my nursing students on why it is important to develop their skills and how those skills will help them in the future.  

Great content

I can be a very "by-the-book" individual in my personal life, and I look forward to implementing this into my class structure. I think in most relationships I've encountered (and now going into my teacher-student relationship I will be starting), laying out clear expectations keeps everyone on the same page, and everyone held accountable... which is turn creates a level of respect in relationships when people can satisfy those expectations.

Be available to your students

Interesting lesson in motivation and expectations for a course.

I like to incorporate assignments that required the student to team up and accomplish tasks. I feel like this helps the student because they can get help from their peers and feel more comfortable in the classroom.

I find this material very useful. I sometimes struggle with the syllabus information. My courses are built for me, so I am responsible for delivering the material and making it meaningful to my students. However, the syllabus comes pre-made as well. It does not contain any due dates and directs the students to the academic catalog for late policies. At the beginning of my term, I asked if I could edit the syllabus, and the response I got was "It's pretty comprehensive, but here you go." I don't see how a syllabus that doesn't have an accurate timeline is comprehensive. I've created my own presentation and I deliver it at the beginning of every term. I even post the presentation so all my students have access to it. Still, my students rarely pay attention and usually have questions about due dates, lab dates, and exam dates all term. 

Providing all essential information and expectations to students on the first day of class is beneficial to the students and limits problems for the instructors.

Comment on Shelley Freshman's post: Shelley - I really appreciate your idea for an icebreaker.  Encouraging each student to introduce themselves to someone new no doubt sets the tone going forward for the class to interact in a more positive and collaborative way.  Great idea!

Preparation and constant communication

Setting the syllabus apart to grab the attention of the students.  Enjoyed the ideas of psychomotor activity.  Making sure students are aware from day one what they can expect to learn and late/missed assignment policy.

Use an icebreaker in the first class to ease students anxiety and help them feel more comfortable around each other. It is also a good idea to have a set time limit for turning in assignments, that is clear and gives boundaries to how late they can be, and what the cost for those late assignments will be depending on the time.

Sign In to comment