Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really took notice about the syllabus and class calendar, using both of these and utilizing different ways to highlight important information contained in each.  By highlighting the important information not only do you make it easier for your students to see but also easier for you to see as a reminder to point those areas out. 

Comment on Shelley Freshman's post: What if there is no time for an icebreaker?

Ice breaker is important to put students at ease

deadlines deadlines deadlines!

I think there is definitely some added value to an using an icebreaker for the 1st class. I also like the idea of deadline reminders.

I agree that you have to set the expectations in order for them to follow them.  Consistency is so important yet so hard to maintain.  I sometimes am so hopeful that they will turn something in, in order to pass the class that I don't always uphold the late policy.  I hope to do better with that. 

2nd year teacher here and I love the ideas on syllabus. Mine is short and not detailed. I want to change that.

One thing I do, as a CTE teacher, is emphasize from the first class on... this class is employment training. Limitations, expectations, assignments and such mimic the employment atmosphere. I am strict about deadlines and quality of work to prepare them for the expectations of employment. That way, they know the WHY of rules and consequences.

I am going to have an ice breaker for the class, I think those are always helpful. Even if they are corny. I will make sure my course content is relatable and my delivery is creative and relatable to the students as well.

I agree with the above, in terms of resources for the presentation of the teacher, the breaking of the initial silence with icebreaking participation activities and the recognition of the characteristics of learning by the student in terms of the tools for the beginning, are pillars for a good start and development of the educational activity.

Different angles of teaching how to become successful.

Comment on Eli Cleveland's post

Great point Eli. I found setting clear expectations in syllabus as a great tool.

Comment on Natasha Ramirez's post: This is a real issue with a class I have currently.  It is near the end of the program and the concerns and cares about due dates is for the most part gone.  The class consistently is turning in sub par work and missing deadlines on the assignments.  A refresher on the syllabus could be helpful. 

Learn to read the students and the energy in the classroom. Go in with a plan, but also be flexible as the mood of the classroom changes. Don't be afraid to try something different. 

I have expectations and a plan set before the first day of class. My students can tell by my syllabus what they will learn during the school year. I feel like I incorporate a lot of these things into my classroom but I learned many new techniques as well. The most impactful opportunity that I strive for all students to achieve is the ability to work well with and communicate with others. This will allow them to have a successful career as they leave high school.

There were several helpful takeaways from this lesson. One was that the syllabus should be written very clearly. It should give a detailed description of the course.  The syllabus should be specific about the objectives and goals of the course, The students should also be aware of how they would be evaluated during the course.  Additionally, helpful tips regarding the need to review the content of the syllabus during the first class, as was the need to establish policies for communication and submission of assignments to include variables such as Late assignments 

I always review course expectations and policies like penalty for late work, missed exams, clinical attendance, etc  the first day and put certain reminders on my calendar.  I also enjoy asking on the first day why they chose nursing.

Comment on Ronnie Tobias's post: I like the what's in it for me approach will help them be more engaged in the classroom.

I will remember to give multiple reminders of due dates and put them in multiple places in the syllabus to remind students of the date. I will also set clear boundaries and consequences for late assignments. 

The more you engage students the more they can feel empowered. Setting clear goals and dates for assignments will help keep both you can students on schedule. 

The syllabi is very important for students to be aware of expectation necessary to pass the course, know expectations and what they have to accomplish.  Making sure the due dates for assignments are accurate and posted in the syllabus.

Sign In to comment