Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Creating an open, engaging enviroment for all students.

being open with real live stories and honest about the real life. Let them know that life isn't always going to be a pretty picture, they are going to have to earn it, nothing is going to be handed to them. Keep them motivated and enggaed with class activities. Let them know that we as instructors will always be here for them even after graduation. 

Adult learners are active learners and like to connect their experience with what they learn in class but they sometimes feel like they are at a disadvantage because of their age.

I feel it is important to show that you are enjoying teaching the class and subjects because that will give the students a good feeling of wanting to learn and match your enthusiasm.

Setting up the classroom so all students feel value and a sense of connection so they will be engaged is very important. Teacher must focus on opening the class up to reach all student learners where they are.

be open and create a positive learning environment

set High but realistic expectations

In this module I learned about the importance of remembering we are teaching adult learners and we need to captivate their attention and maintain their focus.  The aspect of keeping the class energectic and interesting is something that I always try to strive for by creating interactive activities where the students feel they are part of the learning process. 

I will begin reflecting each day on lessons, lectures, hands-on applications. Consider other ways to present the material to support enthusiasm for learning.

I learned that it is proven that daily reminders of reinforcement and recognition will have a 40% higher level of student achievement.

Physical comfort, security, acceptance and self respect are key ingredients that will help students succeed. Reward when reward is due!!

It is ok to start class off with a joke or an anecdote of the day.  Students relate more effectvely when the instructor allows the reins to loosen rather be constrictive and all points must be completed be the end of class.  Have fun teaching, studnets can detect teachers who are bored and tired of teaching the same materials over and over.

it is important to engage the students, grabe their attention from the beginning of the class. 

I learn that adult students learn by experience and have acquired a lot of those experiences through life challenges. the class environment needs to be fun, and make the sutdents feel at ease for a better learning opportunity. The teacher needs to set up goals that are attainable to achieve and reach.

This module taught me very important components to be an effective instructor. This includes, being authentic, creative, out-of the box-thinking and respectful that our students are coming from all walks of life and their voices deserve to be heard and respected. 

I really like the idea of "dont tell students something, ask them". This helps the light bulb come in in your students' mind. 

Make Students Active Participants in Learning

Students learn by doing, making, writing, designing, creating, solving, etc. Don't tell students something when you can ask them. Encourage students to suggest approaches to a problem. Adults are active learners, as opposed to youth who typically are passive learners. Active learners want to be in the flow of the learning process from the very beginning. This means that you must put the materials into "bite-size chunks" which they can understand and apply. They want immediate use of newly acquired knowledge.

From <https://www.jsou-cee.org/elc/mod/resource/view.php?id=820>

Its all about building trust. Letting your students know that you are on their side, that you want them to succeed. I also use a lot of jokes and gags to keep things light and fun.

I also like putting the human element into the equation.  I am a huge on respect and I believe little things like learning students name is something so simple we can do but goes a long way.  It is a good way to break the ice and set a tone of the class and then adjust accordingly. 

I am good at listening my patients/family and address their concerns. I will do the same to my students. 

It is imperative to create a positive, care and thoughtful environemt for the stundents 

creating competition or fun games works for adults too!

Sign In to comment