General Strategies for Student Retention | Origin: ED102
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Student Retention Methods --> General Strategies for Student Retention
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
Being enthusiastic about the topic your teaching will not only help the students digest information but will get them excited about their own learning. I plan on having fun in the classroom to not only give my students a great experience but to make my time teaching a blast.
I learned that showing the student that we as instructors are human and can have positive interactions while maintaining on topic.
This part discussed various ways to keep students in the program. This includes showing the students that we are human by being caring and fair, treating them with respect, and having clear expectations. In the classroom itself, make the environment engaging, show enthusiasm for the content, and create a fun learning environment.
Allowing all the students to be "kids" seems perfect. Who doesn't like playing games or winning a pizza party etc.
WE NEED TO PRODUCE A COMFORTABLE TEACHING AND LEARNING ENVIRONMENT.
I learned that student retention relies heavily on creating a supportive environment. Going forward, I want to maintain clear communication, keeping track of attendance and a students participation.
This lesson taught me the importance of creating a comfortable environment for learning.
I learned that bringing good energy to the classroom is a must.
I learned that showing a sense of enthusiasm is crucial to increase retention of the course material. I will use this information when I teach by reminding myself before class starts that I need to not only feel inwardly excited about the material but also make sure that my enthusiasm is shown outwardly.
Throughout these courses I have learned of the importance of fun in the classroom. The material being a fun interactive thing for the students is great for them to learn. The relationship of instructor student must still be respected but there is no reason we cannot have fun together.
Comment on Toni Harrington's post: Love it. I feel like they take greater ownership in their learning when rewarded.
I think keeping things light in the classroom as much as possible will help with the overall student performance. As long as expectations are met, I believe keeping a fun learning environment helps build confidence and relieves pressure of everyday life for students and instructors alike.
One thing I have learned about student retention is that keeping students engaged goes beyond simply teaching the material. Building a good relationship with students, setting clear expectations, encouraging participation, and providing positive feedback can make a big difference in whether students stay motivated throughout the program.
I intend to apply these strategies by creating a classroom environment where students feel comfortable asking questions, making mistakes, and learning from them. I also think it is important to recognize when a student may be struggling and address it early instead of waiting until they fall too far behind.
Building a rapport with students, encouraging participation, positive feedback, treating students with respect, setting realistic expectations and remembering to include fun activities that promote a positive classroom culture.
Establishing clear expectations from the beginning and ensuring that students’ social and learning needs are met can greatly improve retention, particularly among students with lower motivation. At the same time, knowing the subject matter well and having confidence in your ability to teach it creates a comfortable environment where students can learn, have fun, communicate openly, and work together as a team.
I thought it was interesting that the student's self esteem plays such a large role in their success. I would like to learn more about how to support a student in building self esteem.
I learned that teaching is more than just presenting material. It's about getting the students in the right frame of mind to learn by treating them with respect and keeping it real, as in real world. Having them understand that what they are learning is skill that is required in the field to help them progress in their career.
Students will respect you more if they know you are asking of them the very same expertise levels that the working world requires and that they will be assessed the same way that the working world assesses its workers.
Creating a precedent for the course expectations and ensuring that social needs are met for new students will greatly improve retention among low motivation students while also motivating the class as a whole to work as a team.