Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The importance of daily recognition and reinforcement.

Going forward, I will also make the effort to always learn the names of my students asap  

Reply to Jacob Pope's post:

Changing up formats, trying different presentation methods, guest speakers....all creative methods to bring to the classroom. 

This area is hard to create but I think it also make things easier on everyone in the class in the long run. Being enthusitic about the material and the class is important othrewise the student will emulate your behavio. I've also used the rewards idea in class and students really like it, it also allows the rapport with them to grow In a positive way.

If you treat the class as if they already collectively behave the way you want them to, then they will be more likely to follow suit with that mindset.

Again we are reminded of how important it is to learn your students' names from day one. I recall being impressed as a student when my instructors were able to remember my name (and pronounce it correctly). I also like the suggestion regarding opening class on a light note with a joke or a story. I believe that this helps the adult student relax and get settled in. 

I always believe if we are comfortable with our content we can always share it with compassion and creativity. Great module

Motivation is a significant key to student retention and success for them as well as instructors. Confidence in ones abilities and passion for what you do is important. As an instructor, I will be more forthcoming with words of encouragement rather than depending on a student’s personal desire for success. I will also be cognizant of my own personal feelings about what motivates me and why.

I have learned that adult learners do like fun 'child-like-activities sometimes. I will remember this and try to incorporate some fun moments into my classes.

It is critical to humanize the learning environment and ensure that students continue to reflect their purpose for attaining higher education. While attending school - particularly while working - is a challenging endeavor, small, daily reminders regarding self-worth, achievement, or general levity can serve as a buffer against cognitive fatigue and mounting frustration.

Showing that one cares about others is Key to opening doors to learning.

Hey all

I'm new to Max Knowledge and excited to be taking on some courses. In this sectionn of ED 102, it says allowing the students to "set" goals and then eventually enjoy the success, is a gr8 method of student retention. 

I'm not sure i understand how allowing them to set the goals, helps in retaining them. Is it something to do with takign responsibility annd ownership?

Reply to Christopher Arori's post:love this

Understanding student needsboth intrinsic and extrinsic are essential to student success. Using the human factor to connect with students and providing personal attention and educationa can generate a foundation for learning and success. Being respectful of each student and giving sincere feedback that is frequent, positive, and and early on can serve as a success tool as well.

This has taught me alot about what I need to pay attention to as a intructor in training. Learn as many was as possible to keep the students involved in the whole classroom invironment,

Creativity and letting students see your human side always seems to help :)

I think it is importante to leasen to their needs, and show that we care about them, and I am avalable to help them understand by looking for diferent ways of teaching tehlessons.

I believe by calling my students by their name, is validating them and showing them respect. Also that is important to evaluate the diferent kind of students ground and experiences to inplement in the classroom.

I like the idea of biography and student biographies as a general group discussion.  Everyone has something they can bring to the table.

"It has been proven that with daily reinforcement and recognition there will be at least a 40% higher level of student achievement."

What an incredible statistic and point! It is imperative to encourage student's to reach their highest potential and foster a classroom that encourages them to do so. 

Get a feel for the classroom and where the students are each day they present for class.  Be creative with how you will engage the students each day.  If you become complacent with teaching, your students may become complacent as well.

Sign In to comment