Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This portion help me understand how important checking in on students at beginning of a class will geer the learning environment and motivations of my students and for the teacher to be aware of each students learning ability that day. 

It was a good reminder to keep things fun and exciting.

Keep students engaged  is very important. Provide an environment that is positive an enviroment that will keep your students wanting to learn more and more. 

I find complementing students goes a long way.  As adults we rarely hear, "Good Job, Well Done."  This works great in a classroom.

Students are sensitive to how faculty interact with them.  I have heard students say this instructor just destroyed me when I made a mistake whereas another instructor made them feel confident when they approached the same situation by saying I understand why you did that but try doing it this way you'll have a better result.

I intend to be more welcoming each day and great the students on a daily basis. 

Seth Soronnadi

I understood that; "It has been proven that with daily reinforcement and recognition there will be at least a 40% higher level of student achievement."

Have fun, safe, positive classrooms.

How to retain students.

This module has hit home, explaining as an educator I am responsible for setting the class tone outside of the context of course content. It also made me reflect and view the value of the class as a team, in that as the leader I am responsible to prime their minds, create intrig, expose the mysteries to difficult concepts. The modifications to my teaching plan, begin the class with an intro into an off topic acknowledgement, and to ensure individual inclusion for the silent student. There's a lot of to work to be performed!

I had my students to act out biological processes to assist them with learning difficult processes and to encourage them to become active participants. 

I have considered the opportunity to lighten up in class. I believe this allows students to be normal and not try to confirm to a preconcieved idea of who I think they are, who I am or even their classmates.

I will ensure to create a dynamic learning environment for all students making sure they are learning what is in the standard based curriculum.

Reminded that getting students to have done work ahead of time, so that class explores, not introduces, content, is often important. 

I have found that you have to keep the classroom alive! Meaning, keeping the students engaged. I made it a habit with starting the class off with a scenario, where the student would have to complete the next steps and other faculty would join in depending on the type of scenario it is. I would also put the students into groups and have them teach the class to each other with of course interjections if something important is missing. The students would anticipate on coming to the next class because they did not know what to expect so to give a little excitement goes a long way. Be creative and innovative is what I have learned and will keep adding to that.

I probably underestimated the importance of telling jokes before class and picking a silly day to celebrate just for fun. This will be big during covid-19 virtual Instruction.

In order to promote enthusiasm in learning, the instructor must also have a sense of enthusiasm. This will help to guide students in the direction for successful learning and help to promote the retention of students.  

Adult learners are different in that they are motivated to learn the material being presented as long as they are being treated as adults. It's important to have passion and fun with learning as it can form a more cohesive classroom and a better learning environment. 

This is where I struggle during classes I facilitate. I am just not into entertainment and jokes. Especially when it comes to technology lectures. Plus, I am truly a weirdo outside of class. I do not like comedy shows. And, I watch tennis or read books about entrepreneurism or being engaged with business ownership. And, there's really not anything funny about those two.

But, what I think I will do (as I have done in past semesters) is ask students if anyone has something hysterically funny that has happened to them in the past month or week? Then, if they can tell everyone about it in a couple of minutes we will go with that and have our laugh. Lately, I think COVID-19 and all that is happening for home-based workers using these collaboration apps is pretty entertaining from a technology perspective. I may do some research of all the various cases across the world and make it fun during a class or two. 

Reply to Noah Basta's post: WOW! That sounds interesting. I would not even know where to begin with something like this. Do tell.

Sign In to comment