Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Identification of student needs will assist in the retention process.

Addressing the students by their names and starting the class with some lighthearted humor sets the foundation for a good rapport with the students and has a good impact on students' learning outcome.

Students learn by doing. Ask questions of the students, instead of telling them. 

keeping students engaged and motivated to be successful 

A general strategy for student retention is by letting your presence be known to the students. Keep reassuring them that you are there to guide & support them. 

Classes should be engaging and exciting for students; variety keeps adult learners engaged.

honesty and being straight forward helps communication and establish a positive relationship 

Human aspect is important in the classroom. The first step is knowing the name of students.

The differences between adult and younger learners. Also, being willing to meet the students where they are for a more holistic learning experience

Teaching starts with you. if you have a passion for your trade, and love what you do- it shows and carries over to the students. 

Having a dynamic classroom, promote interactions among students and create a fun learning environment will make students' retention effortless.   

I like to use jokes to keep people engaged. 

I learned that 60% of student's success rate is based on studnt's respect for themselves. In order to better engage students and show that the instructor cares, instructors should learn the student's name and something about them in the first class period. Getting to know their background and experience will help show the instructor cares. Allowing students to vent a little bit in class and then redirecting them to class learning will help the instructoer keep charge of the classroom. 

I learned that adult learners has experiences and they can learn if an instructor can use these experiences with topics discussed.  It is also necessary that in the first meeting to remember students name because you are giving them respect.

I was blessed to have thought a human bio class to a group of students who worked as  CNA's, LPN's etc.

The class was full with laughter as each student could hardly wait to interject the lecture with their own experiences at the work place.

This created a fun and hyperactive learning environment.

This course has served to reinforce several aspects of teaching including "the human factor" which does play a huge role in student engagement during lecture.

Students are engaged and want to learn through different ways, so the instructor needs to be diverse in teaching methods to engage all students.

Enthusiasm, personal attention, providing feedback, and respect lead to an environment that promotes active learning. 

"I've learned that being enthusiastic about the subject you're teaching is crucial to keeping students engaged. If you're bored, they will be bored too. It's also okay to inject some fun into the classroom, as long as it's controlled. A little healthy competition among students can be beneficial, but it's important to keep it from getting out of hand. Too much competition can give students the wrong impression of the class. Additionally, setting high expectations is necessary, but it shouldn't be the only focus. We must also prepare students for the real world and let them know that it's up to them to take what they learn and apply it in their lives."

It's important to incorporate all teaching methods in order to ensure that your students are getting the best delivery. 

Take the time to learn your students and it opens up the learning environment. 

Sign In to comment