Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I teach programming. One of the biggest issues that i face is that there are students who just are not initially interested in the topic. What I try to do is show them how this seemingly odd topic will actually help them in creating networking scripts, making interesting websites, and of course we also take the time to make games :)

The importance of being enthusastic about the content that I am teaching and making sure that the students are receptive and engaging in what is being taught. 

I would like to make my class fun and exciting to keep them excited regarding content. 

I am a caring, compassionate instructor. I like to greet my students before and after class. Building a good rapport with student can provide them with confidence and they are more likely to apporach you when they need help and they know you are willing to assist them to succeed.

The importance of being enthusiastic and creating a learning environment. 

The more human side of teaching was highlighted in this section. Just as a floor nurse, you set the stage for students to engage with each other and superiors. 

Most learning happens outside the classroom.  Make class cards to get to know facts about your students

Human factor is the key to retention. Personalize their goals, expectations, and roads to success. 

I enjoyed the analogy of teaching is like riding a horse, how tight you pull back, the more resistance may be built

Be fun, be creative, make them look forward to your class! There is a saying, "People will forget 80% of what you say, but they will never forget how you make them feel!"

Be prepared but go with the flow in the classroom. Show your enthusiasm for the content and for student success. Allow them space and time to actively engage with the content and offer prompts to guide them rather than spoon feeding them information.

I've learned to be receptive to the feelings and needs of the students. I've learned to care and I've learned to trust and respect each and everyone.

I will likely reward students in a small way for participation or acheievements above what was expected of them. 

In one of my classes, I would have music playing as the clss would enter. I had the class email me with songs they would like me to put on the class play list, I would vet them for content, and I made it a point to shuffle through these songs. It was well received and added a personal touch to the class.

Active learning and respecting each individual as an adult is necessary.  The context of the information presented should meet the goals of the class as well as the goals of the student. Each individual should be held accountable, but the structure of the course shouldn't be so strutured or strict to the point that there is no fun involved in the learning process.

"Nothing breeds success like success" Keeping that in mind, I always find a way to create an activity that the instruction is easy to follow and easy to accomplish. I enjoy the learn and apply as a bite size chunks of mini lectures which results in the best performance for the students.

Reply to Rose Elam's post:Hello Rose, I have the same feeling. Thanks for sharing your comment.

Reply to Felicia Roberts's post:Hello Felicia. Inteersting comment, Can you elaborate what you put on class cards?

1. Set a good tone to the learning environment. 

2. Build rapport with students by learning names and history

3. Prepare to follow your plan but also be prepared to deviate as needed

One point I did learn is that many adult learners return to the classroom, thinking like a high school student instead of as an adult.  This is interesting, because they already have some life experience which can be shared with their peers.  Returning to that old learning mentality can be detrimental to their learning.  So remind yourself that the adult learner has life experience and can contribute in ways we can only imagine.

Sign In to comment