Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is very important to get your class off on the right foot on the very first day.

At the start of a new class, it is good to get to know your students. 

I appreciated learning the three factors to motivate learning: appreciation of the value of the learning experience, expectation of success, and belief that performance is related to rewards.  Also, I enjoyed hearing what the Havard professor shared around insightful discussions and importance of students not sharing what they learned the night prior, rather what they learned/gained during the class.

Students should leave the class having a sense of comfort about having a successful outcome from the course.

I love the idea of learning student's name as this bring value to the relationship between teacher and student - the foundation of which acadmic success can be acheived. 

It's important to do an ice breaker and get to know something about your students as well as letting them something about you.  Also, to discuss the flow of class and term.

I learned how to have the classroom prepared so that when the students start arriving I can greet them and start to get to know them from the beginning.  I also learned some exercises to help them get to know each other and also to get to know me.

It is important to introduce yourself and allow students to introduce themselves. 

Take time to know that students as well as letting them know a little bit about you. 

I teach a cohort that has been together for 8 months already. My first class has 65 to 70 students, I have them for 5 or 6 sessions, impossible to learn all their names. I do attendance and concentrate on saying their names properly from a paper roll. I make notes about pronunction on it so next week I get it correct. 

I like the 4 goals that students should feel before they depart the first day of class:

Here is what you want your students to have at the end of their first class meeting.

1. A sense of where they’re going and how they’ll get there.
  2. A feeling that the other members of the class are not strangers.
  3. An awareness that you care about their learning.
  4. An expectation that the course will be both valuable and enjoyable.

From <https://www.jsou-cee.org/elc/mod/resource/view.php?id=726>

It is important to get to know your students and vice versa all while establishing your position as an instructor.  In order for students to want to learn they have to feel comfortable with myself as well as the other students.

Communication with students, and getting to know them will help best encourage them to learn the material being presented

First impressions is key.  Not only should the atmosphere be inviting but students need to feel welcomed.  Greeting students at the beginnig of class allows you to get to know your students and help ease their anxiety.

The course serve as a guide to help in navigating classroom and students . 

THe course help teachers to navigate and prepare before startng as a navice or verteran teacher .

It reminded me the importance of MODELING, MANAGING, MOTIVATING during the firt day of class. I agree with that, however I believe that the 3M's strategy should be applied every day in your class activities.

Using student name badges and making sure that they are always visible will be a great way to remember student's names

I belive it is very important to get to know each student 

First day of class give the student a overview on how that out come of the class should be.

Sign In to comment