Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that greeting the students as they enter the classroom is helpful in getting to know the students as well as giving the students a positive experience to learning.

Making a positive first impression with students on the first day of class is important. Having a list of things to get done in preparing for the class will help to be effective and efficient in the efforts of completing daily activities. The students will appreciate the value of the learning experience when the instructor discusses the importance of the course content as it relates to their future careers. At the end of the first class, students need to feel comfortable about their ability to succeed in the course and about continued progress toward their career goals.

Be at the door, head heart and gut intro yourself then students write your name and class on board point to it give overview set up how you will teach teach them how to prepare for class motivate by appreciation expectation. Important what they learn today not yesterday.3 ms are modeling managing and motivation use 3 by 5 for intros After 1st day of class need to know where they are going, not strangers anymoredont rush matter if not completed its okayDont be a pal Plan for teaching finally remind them of their final goal frequently. dilipdivecha@gmail.com

"You have a higher probability of something coming up to you during class if you are prepared the night before". As instructors, we want students to take the time to prepare beforehand so you are challenging them to apply that knowledge to create meaningful connection between knowledge and what they are learning in class that day.

get the class engaged let them know about yourself while you learn about them at the same time 

It is important for the class and the teacher to get to know each other to not feel like strangers. It is also important to set expectations on the first day.

Be prepared. Provide a safe environment. Learn students names. Allow for interaction between students.

It is important to remember that we set the tone for the class as well as the day. I will be engaging and welcoming to my students on the first day to make sure they feel welcomed. I also like the idea of using a checklist to make sure that everything is discussed and nothing left out. 

I have larned how important it is to make sure that students feel comforable and motivated to learn.

Learning all the students names on day-1 is very important. I am fortunate that I am very good at this! Students really value knowing that I made an effort from the first day to know them individually and make them feel important, and that they are "not just another number".   

This module illustrated the importance of the first day of class.  What the instructor does or dose not do can make or break a class on the first day. Going forward, I will be more mindful of first day interactions and how I presnt myself and what I say to the class.

Developing a positive student outlook on their education is essential and it begins with you caring about the students and their identity. Making an effort to learn their names and establishing a system to continue to remember them allows you more freedom to focus on teaching. A connected student is more likely to have a positive response to the material and will feel understood and welcomed in the class.

I leaned how important it is important to learn the students names quickly.

I learned its important to give the students a sense of comfort of where the class is going for the whole semester. 

I plan on having my students give feedback during the class and I would also like them to introduce themselves on the first day.

"As you dismiss class for the day, take a deep breath and think about how things went."

The end of class is good reflection point to think about how the class went.  It is a good habit to get into for the end of each class to check on what went good, what needs to improve, and what to keep for the next time the class is run.

Have everyone introduce them selves and some facts about them. Try to remember the students names. Share relative info about yourself to break the ice and show your experience. 

learn names!

Introductions and reviewing course expectations are necessary to help students feel more at ease and prepared for the courses they will be taking. If the students do not feel prepared or comfortable it may hinder maximum learning.

You have only one opportunity to make a first impression that is why "purposeful prior planning prevents poor performance".

Sign In to comment