Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's important for you to introduce yourself as well as get to know your students' names too. 

Instructional Delivery and Assessment:

There are a plethora of things that I have learned from this module that I am thrilled to implement into the classroom: Things that students should have at the end of class, The value of participation, and Motivating Students (just to name a few).

The four things that professors want their students to have at the end of their first class meeting are clear paths to set a clear tone and supportive path for the students.

1. A sense of where there going and how they are going to get there. An overview of the expectations with support to achieve goals.
  2. A feeling that the other members in the class are not strangers. I have had the pleasure to walk students through a Collaborations tab in Canvas to assist with virtual groups in my English 110 course which was an embedded recommendation for an activity, on-the-other-hand, my Humanities 205 course has not had the honor to experience virtual group activities. This module overview helped me to realize that, that needs to be incorporated in both courses . I am looking forward to lecturing later this week to introduce the Humanities students to group work as well.
  3. An awareness that you care about their learning.
  4. An expectation that the course will be both valuable and enjoyable.

Group activity will aid in a solution to increase participation as group work will require brainstorming. According to Harvard Business Publishing "Participation is evaluated on willingness, courage, ability to learn, and the ability to let other people build on what you have said." To create such a motivational tone in the beginning will excite students to participate. That is surly a technique that I will be implementing going forward.

In conclusion, motivating students by setting reasonable expectations based upon industry standards will help them to prepare for their areas-of-study by creating an atmosphere of engagement.

I like the folded index card idea both to help me learn student names but also to help students learn each other's names.

Introducing myself to a new class will help establish a trust between myself and students as they hear about my experience and background and what kind of teacher I am

Taking a clear approach to knowing who your students are and what is expected of them throughout the course is a key element in developing a strong beginning relationship and understanding the requirements of both the class and of you. Having these will make it easier to have a successful classroom environment and experience. 

The first day of class, the first day of clinical is always the make or break you situation. It is of utmost importance that the instructor have a handle on what is happening on day one. This module was very informative and to the point. Being a student success coach, this module have given me a lot of information to use.

Arrive early and greet students at the door

Be clear about standards and expectations

Get to know your students by name

Review the course content and syllabus

Give study guides and  note taking suggestions

Introduce yourself and have the students introduce themselves so you can get to know each other.

I learned the importance of a well thought out introduction of myself to my new students as well as allowing the students the opportunity to introduce themselves. 

It's important to learn each student by their preferred name. Also, we should strive to learn a little bit about each of our students.

Welcoming students and setting that first impression is so important! Let them know who you are and that you're a person too

Excellent outline for "Getting to Know You"

Students need to feel a sense of comfort about their ability to succeed at the end of the first class

Let the students be comfortable, introduce yourself and get to know them.

Show the class you are a human being.  Spend some time getting to know each student while you are going over expectations.

Clearly explain how the class will run and what you expect. Also, learn your students names and get to know them

A good class hits at 3 levels- the mind, the heart, the gut.

Its's important to pronounce each student's name correctly.

I have learned to make a checklist so that I can make sure all important topics are covered. To make sure I let the students know that I have experience in the course that I am teaching. Also to make sure all students know what is expected out of them especially when it comes to participation and to make sure that when they leave the class each day that they feel confident and motivated about the course and the material.

When meeting the class for the first time, It's important to introduce yourself and have each student introduce themselves as well. Telling the student about yourself can help encourage them on their path or goals.

Sign In to comment