Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Keep it light and don't pile too much on the first class.  Work to get to know the students and what their preferred name is.

I think I will do an ice breaker

On the first day of class it is important to give a good impression

Have a list of things you need to go over the first day. Make sure your students feel comfortable with you as well as their classmates.

Allow your students to know a little about yourself, making yourself relatable makes it easier for the students to trust and gain a relationship with you. 

First impressions and meeting matter.  Set the stage for what you expect and help the student feel comfortable.

Students should feel comfortable and feel positive about successful outcome of the course. 

The importance of learning at the level of the head, the heart, and the gut. Students should feel comfortable in the classroom.

Start with a great introduction/orientation and let your students know you care about getting to know them.

Introducing yourself and getting to know your students is an important part of creating a positive and confident environment in the class.

Meeting the class for the first time is really an investigation to the dynamic of mixes of the various personalities. 

When starting the class for the first time, learning and pronouncing students names correctly is extremely important. This is something that will set the tone for the semester off well. 

Learn each students name, introduce myself and experience and tell a bit about myself, create a welcoming environment.

Learning names and making sure that the students see you as a human being as well as their instructor    

This module reinforced the idea of getting to know students and creating a basis of trust and community in the classroom. I like to have students share their goals, expertise, etc., on day one so that I may incorporate their past experiences into classroom leadership experiences. 

Opening up about my past and experience and allowing the students to do so also helps us to get to know each other a lil better.

Learning each student’s name and addressing them by their name shows I’m interested in their learning.

It's important to make a good first impression with a new class.  A great way to make a good first impression is to take the time and make an effort to learn people's names and to pronounce them correctly.

Every student has a unique background and experience that can add richness to the classroom. It is important to learn all about student cultures, lifestyles, way of learning, and all around about them so you can make them a part of the learning.

I love the idea of giving a pretest about what is going to be the content in the course.  Not for the grade but showing them what they will learn.  I also like the idea of them coming to class already having looked over or reviewed the material to be taught that day.

Sign In to comment