Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meeting the Class for the First Time | Origin: ED101

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective Teaching Strategies --> Meeting the Class for the First Time

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too. 

Using an icebreaker will help to lower anxiety for the students and me. Getting to know each name is important as the students will feel comfortable and connected to the class.

Being prepared for the content is one of many ways to prepare to meet your classroom. It sets the tone and expectations for the class. This will help with being seen as professional and confident in the topic. 

With the help of checklists, the first day can be planned for and somewhat predictable. Remembering students' names can be challenging in larger classroom settings, but with creativity and communication, this can be overcome. I appreciated the various methods of icebreakers with new classrooms. I was a shy student, so I disliked the "Bingo" game, for example. I plan on looking up other ways to get acquainted with the students and myself. 

I think in order to be successful in teaching, there has to be an understanding from both sides. It alleviates a lot of misunderstandings if there is a set standard and outline that all are aware of. It gives a lot of direction and focus when there are waypoints ....

Meeting a class for the first time is an important opportunity to set the tone for the rest of the course. I learned that instructors should establish expectations early while also creating an environment where students feel comfortable asking questions and participating. The first class is also a chance to introduce yourself, explain the course structure, and begin building a professional relationship with the students.

As I begin teaching MRI, I plan to introduce myself and share some of my clinical experience so students understand how the material relates to working in the field. I also want to clearly explain my expectations while letting students know that questions are encouraged. My goal is to create a classroom environment that is professional but also approachable, where students feel comfortable learning and developing their skills.

Prepare an environment and plan for the first day that allows the students to get to know me as their instructor, as well as each other as classmates. To ease nervousness by having a succinct, easy to follow plan for the course that include goals, expectations, and learning objects so that the students leave the first day confident in their capabilities to succeed. 

Showing students how to learn and not just what they need to learn is an important aspect I have not thought of. I will incorporate studying techniques into my classes so they can understand the information and how to retain it.   

Enjoyed the video that spoke to asking students what they learned today and not only asking to repeat what they learned the night before or at home.  This provides an opportunity to highlight successes and areas to improve and to increase student engagement.  What they learned and how they describe it may lead other students to success as well.

I learned a few was to break the ice and learn students preferred names. The note cards can play several roles and can become interactive if used properly. 

That first impressions and introductions help to set the tone and environment for the students. 

Introductions can seem embarrassing or corny, but are a good way to introduce everyone and break the ice.

I learned that the first day is crucial in helping the students feel like I am competent and prepared for them, and that it also gives me an opportunity to provide a feeling of comfort and confidence to students who will understand what is expected of them and how we will get there.

I like to use different teaching methods to see what works best out for the students throughout the course. 

This school year has been exciting!  Since we've moved into a new space, it also symbolizes the notion of a fresh start.  As every school year marks a new beginning, this activity brings a new dimension to having class for the first time.  Most of our students already know each other, since we are a relatively smaller school in student population.  But this has made the first day of class more intimate, as my co-teacher and I may not have known the students last year that we have now, we quickly built a connection with them.  Reading the material in this module, I have become confident that we are headed in the right direction, as we were able to accomplish the goals provided that were suggested in this module

I learned different strategies for building student moral and keeping them engaged in the course 

Be prepared before starting your new class. Introductions are important to show students you care about them and they'll more likely want to be a part of what you are instructing 

I like the idea of everyone introducing themselves as this serves as an ice breaker for both the students and the instructor.

Using an ice breaker eases the tension and opens up the conversation

Assigned seating may be best. An icebreaker for the first time would be nice to get rid of the awkwardness and maybe to learn something about the students. Finding something to connect with the students will help them feel comfortable and also introducing yourself and your experience while not bragging or gloating will be good for them to trust in your knowledge.

Sign In to comment