Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Most memorable times are the first time you meet someone and what impression they give you. It is important to be kind, thoughtful, respectful, and let them know a little bit about you. This helps them see you as an instructor as well as a human being.

lts important to let the students know about who you are and your background

know your students.  let the students know you

The introduction to yourself, the course and student introductions sets the tone for the entire year. Procedures and expectations must be laid out in the beggining to set the foundation for how the rest of the year will play out.

Make the overview of the course material exciting and how the course can positively impact their future career. 

Setting reasonable expectations consistent with business and industry standards.

Share personal occupational and professional experiences with students. 

Coordinate activities that engage students in learning.

Motivate students at the beginning of the course (and during) so they can create a future for themselves.

Create an interactive environment so students and instructor(s) can remember names and get to know one another. 

Using index cards to help break the ice and get to know students better.

c c
c c

Meeting people for the first time can be very scary even for teachers. I would be very keen on making everyone comfortable, and that we are all learning together. Most people have many things in common, we just have to realize that everyone has to be patient with each other. I love the idea of a pretest. That give a great idea of what test will be like and the knowledge base of what needs to be studied more.

Learning your students is knowing your audience. The more you allow them to express themselves the first day, the better an instructor can deduct how each student learns

Let students participate in learning and have active discussion during class

It's important to break the ice on the first meeting by introducing yourself and have the student do the same. 

I learned some ways to help students introduce themselves and to get comfortable in the class

Know your students. Also, show them that you know their name.

need to know every students by their name 

The importance of learning the names of each student. This is a challenge for me! 

It's important to let students share a little about themselves and also for you to share about yourself. This allows the students to relax. 

There are so many valuable information on how to be prepared as an instructor. It has given me better insight for preparation and expectations on the first day of class. I believe knowing the names of the each student is important, not only for the instructor to be able to communicate to the students, but to let the students know that they are seen individually also. The suggestion made to use a 3 x 5 index card sounds fun and engaging. I want to incorporate a fun learning experience as a way to help memory retention of the course content. 

Comment on Alycia Hubbard's post

Hi Alycia, thank you for you comment. I agree with being kind and human. The video that was shown in this course that suggests never to sound like a know-it-all. Allowing the students to see the instructor as being human and relatable. 

-Feli Ruth Ramirez

From this module, I learned the importance of making a genuine effort to get to know each student individually.

The first class sets the tone for the rest so make connections

Sign In to comment