Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meetingthe your class for the first time can be scary.  A thourough preparation using a checkilist for example can make the first meeting a successfull one.  There is no need to rush during the first encourter.

I have learned helpful tactics for learning students' names and how important it is to accomplish this quickly. 

My motto and the module's emphasis: KNOW your students. 

It is important to know students names as quickly as possible. Do not rush your 1st days lesson plans. 

Identify content to be dissused during initial greeting in first class setting to set the tone for the duration of the course/training. 

introduce self/course, discuss accessibility, take attendance, go over syllabus and whats required 

Letting the students know what is expected from them While making them feel comfortable.

Coducting the first session of a class well sets the tone for the rest of the course sessions. Before your first meeting, you should arrive early to check the room and equipment are in order and write the course name and number as well as your name on the board.  Greet students as they arrive and take attendance promptly at start time. Introduce yourself with a few points about your experience. Discuss ermgency procedures. Pass out and discuss the syllabus, taking time after each section to answer questions, particularly sections on assignments and evaluation. Show the text and write on the board instructions about options for obtaining it. Discuss the rationale for what will be learned, then talk a little more about your experience and have the students introduce themselves to each other. 

Introductions are essential in promoting a classromm where the student can appreciate the value of learning, expectations for success, and belief that their performance will be rewarded.

Know your subject, prepare for the first class. Learn student names. Introduce yourself and experience. Have the students do the same.

Provide information on my experience in the field.

The first day is very very important. I try to remember up to 18 names in the first half hour so that I am more comfortable with them and the students see the effort I am applying to remembering their names.

I learned to get the students familiar with myself and each other it's good to utilize ice breakers.

A brief introduction including a couple bullet points of your previous professional experience helps let the students know that they are learning from that has been in the industry that they have decided to persue. 

Create a relaxed atmsophere

The first meeting does not have to be as intense as it feels that it will be.

Be professional, set the stage for the course by givening an overview of what is expected of the students and ensure that the students know what they should get out of your course.  

Having experienced the "first day" many, many times as a student, it's important as an instructor to have empathy.   I recall all the things that made me apprehensive and if I can alleviate those in students then day one is a success.   Anxiety only interferes with the process.

Learning how ot pronounce everyones name is essential. It demonstrated respect. Ice breakers are also helpful. 

Establishing credibility by sharing your experience as well as taking the time to learn names and correct pronunciations.  

Sign In to comment