Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

First impressions are very important for setting the tone for the entire course.

Motivation for learning depends on three interrelated factors:

Appreciation of the value of the learning experience.
Expectation of success. 
Belief that performance is related to rewards. 

Have I conveyed the message about the direction and do they leave at the end of day 1 knowing their objectives and have the confidence to succeed in my class. That is what I picked up on the most.

I like to have my collegiate students decorate name cards for their desks.  Just a fun little activity to get them to relax and for me as the instructor to get to know each student. I decorate one as well so that they view me a bit less intimidating as well.

I felt I took away how to set up the classroom and set expectations, but also learning to make a first impression on students and make them feel welcome at the same time.

The use of a name tent is very helpful in learning student names.  Be willing to share a bit about yourself at the beginning of the class.

Useful information on how to learn student names 

I like playing an introduction game and have a syllabus scavenger hunt!

Build a rapport with your students by letting them know about you and learn about them. Also, that sets the tone for how your students see you as a person and instructor (professional).

Nice ice breaker ideas to the first day. 

It's important to set the tone, and ensure that the students are in a welcoming, and comfortable learning environment on the first day of school.

It is important to let students know a little bit about you as an instructor, as well as learn a little about them

it is good to introduce the instructor and have the student introduce themselves. Getting to know a little about others who will be learning and working with each other in a learning environment.

Hello,

It is very important to do an introduction the first day of class to learn your students name. Use the three Ms method by modeling, managing, and motivating your students. Set reasonable exceptions for your students. Arrive on time to class to set an good example.

instead of reading my resume to students on the first day I prefer to discuss how i used the knowledge of this class in my past

Planning and preparation are key factors to a successful first day. A feeling of human and instructor should be those which the students take away from their first interaction with you, as an instructor. 

I liked the first day guidelines to get to know your students. Also making name tents to help me learn their names

As hard as it may seem to learn names it is very important. Learning your students names will make them feel special thus wanting to come to class more. 

Make a good first impression. Introduce yourself and talk about your professional experience. 

Having the introduction done at the beginning of the class would help both the teacher and the students understand each other better and would also aid the instructor to decide the pace of teaching.

Sign In to comment