Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Be a great leader by leading in example

In the area of being a manager, I found the information of the "Instructor as" being an authoritarian, disciplinarian, a cheerleader, as a judge, and not being a babysitting - great strategies for a beginning instructor.  With motivation, I can not motivate a student but I can create opportunities for the student to motivate themselves.  I think this is what excites me most about becoming an instructor.

I've learned that it is important to be aware of any resources available for the student as well as for the instructor. Knowing your company philosophy can help as a guide for the instructor to set the bar and succede as an educator. It is also important to be yourself when in search of a teaching style. 

It is honestly a little overwhelming, as there are so many things to consider when teaching.  My favorite part of teaching is being able to model professionalism and the passion that I have for my profession to the students.  I appreciated the advice about managing the classroom and that preparation is key.  This module also helped me realize how important is to have a formal PDP to continue to strengthen my abilities as an instructor for improved teaching outcomes and learning by the students.

That no matter how long you have been teaching, there is always room for improvement- therefore we must actively reflect on how we are delivering the content (even if it is the same topic).

Style is more about projecting care and concern, wanting the best for the students.

Practice, observe, revise, question, feedback, a continuous improvement project is how one develops as an instructor.

You are Not the smartest. Be a role model of good examples.

Lead by example. You do not know it all.

Model the behavior that you are asking of the students and consult your peers for best practices.

I agree with Michelle, being a model, a manager and a motivator are important roles instructor should possess.

Incorporating your experiences will help students grasp knowledge of different types of procedures and situations that can happen in the clinical setting.

Be professional in all aspects of teaching. Dress...attitude...etc. 

Being a manager, leader and the motivator: always have this 3 in your mind coming to class.

Lead by example. Let my past experiences help me in my journey. 

There are so many takeaways from this section. But, I really agree with the 3 roles of an instructor. As an instructor, I have found myself in all 3 roles. But, feel that I really like to motivate the students more than anything. 

I really enjoyed this module and took a lot of great notes and have some things I like to work on. My take-away is that I need to model the behavior that I want my students to model. If I want them to have a successful career in HIT and I am constantly telling them this, then I need to make sure I am following suit. 

Glad the boundaries between friend and pal were clearly identified, there are so many that don't follow this practice and we unfortunately hear about it on national news.  Credible + ethical = good example

Always be a model, a manager, and a motivator!!

"Learning is the most important thing going on in the classroom/laboratory, not teaching. This is student-first teaching."

Sign In to comment