Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I will always lead by example and be humbe to know that learning can occur anywhere. I remember teachers who were fair but also motivated me and I know that is what kind of teacher I want to be. I also liked the "5-C's" and feel they are a good blue print for developing a good taching strategies. Being self aware is another very important process in becoming a good educator and role model for our students. 

My biggest take aways from the module were probably the 5 C's, and the importance of being confident and comfortable in your own skin, as it gives students a way to relate to you. Thererfore making them more willing to engage.

love what you do and set a good example of putting your passion in teaching.

JAMES CRINITI                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 as a teacher u have to be a motivator u want the students to want to come to your class and want to learn because u make it fun for them also u dont want to be the person who thinks he knows everything because u dont u can alway learn something new and that a great thing

There are certain things covered in the module that I do well (or at least I think I do well).  Others I know I need to work on.  I intend to use this information to create a more formal development plan for myself.

I learned a lot from this module:

• Never assume you are the smartest in your class!
  • Be a model.
  • Respect and professional are mutual and lead to an effective instructor student relationship.
  • Be friend with your students but not a pal.
  • Plan for your professional development and be flexible in changing the plan.
  • Be Excited about what you teach and prepare in advance.

Reply to Joahnes Gatdula's post:This is the key. Totally agree

Reply to Laura Smith's post:Be yourself in other words.

Never act or assume that you're the smartest in the classroom, there is always someone smarter. Staying up to date on the current trends in your field help you evolve as an instructor. 

As an instructor you need to model the professional behaviors, lead by example. Never assume you are the smartest in the classroom. Dont become pals with your students and share the excitment for your field.

Do not try to prove you are the smartest, because there is always someone smarter that you.  I could even be one your students.   Instead, show your enthusiam for your profession and subject material.   

The instructor should be a role model for the student and basically, "practice what you preach."  It's also important to care that the student learns and find ways to enhance their learning.  I like the story about the law professor who has a favorite case every day.  This method energized him and his students, and surely improved learning in his class.  I have found that bringing reality to the classroom in stories from my career tend to be good ways to teach exactly what the student needs to learn.

Leading by example

There is more to being an instructor than standing in front of a classroom and teaching information or skills. Being an instructor involves modeling as well. Also, excitement for the subject you are teaching can also help motivate the students to want to learn it as well. 

This module discussed several important components of an effective instructor. The first components included the role of the instructor, particularly the 3M’s; Model, Manager, and Motivator. A good instructor must fulfil all of these roles in order to have the best impact on students and their learning.

Understanding instructor competencies and your personal instructional style are also critical components of effective teaching. It’s extremely important for every instructor to understand their specific style, but they should also have an open mind to incorporating other styles, which would serve to broaden our ability to reach different types of learners.

Professionalism serves as a backdrop in establishing the tone and example for the learning environment. Creating a professional atmosphere provides students with a great example of what will be expected of them in their work settings.

Finally, professional development should be consistent and ongoing. Instructors need a professional development plan to ensure they stay current with available teaching techniques and to foster self-evaluation and self-improvement.

I thought the 5 C's were very helpful to keep in mind as a new instructor.  Your job in much more than just teaching the content. 

1. Professional Role Model

2. Passion for subject

3. Competency through professional development

Learning is the number one thing to gain from teaching . Students need learn from your style of teaching and as a teacher we must learn to be professional in manners, dressing and conduct . 

This a very interesting topic. As a clinical instructor, and knowing that the students are coming with a base knowledge in the subject, the biggest point to take away is to be seen as a model of professionalism. 

Don't seek to show yourself as the smartest person in the room. 

Be prepared and engage students in learning.

Sign In to comment