Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have begun to identify those in my institution  who can mentor me in the area of how our University meets the applicable rules/regs/laws as part of my growth plan.

I suppose that most of the stuff I learned in this segment is stuff that I already do but did not really take into account that it was so beneficial to the student. Such as the three Major Roles played by an instructor and importance of the 5 C's.

I have learned that my strength is technical. I am very knowledgeable in my subject matter and this can be beneficial in structuring my lesson to ensure what my students need to know. My weaknesses is professionalism I must learn to set boundaries and standards for myself as it refers to instructor-to-student relationships, I care too much.

Instructors do most of their class management work before class starts.

Comment on Tanika Powers's post:

I can completely relate to everything that you are saying. I’m very knowledgeable in my technical skills as well. I have also struggled with staying on task. 
what I have learned to incorporate into actually do more one on one. And allow my students to facilitate every now and then.

In doing that my students seem to pay more attention when they have another student facilitating the class.

Get sidetracked because like you I care too much also.

To be Professional at all times in every situation by being on time to class, by knowing the material that I am teaching and  To motivate the students and learn each student and find what keeps them motivated.  To let the students know that I am not the smartest person in the class and everyone is human and will make mistakes. Finally by showing the students that I care, love and is excited to teach them and be their instructor.

Be a leader and model in the classroom.  5 C'S

Professionalism is how we lead in our classrooms and build report and credibility with our students.

Do not be a know it all.  Someone is always smarter than you.  Go into the classroom each day with an air of excitement and motivation and that may help to set the tone for your students.

Everyone teaches differently, you have to stay true to yourself and what you know. Also, never stop learning.

Conduct myself as professionally in the classroom as I would in the field- if not, more so.

Model, manage and motivate.  

Comment on Gary Wilkerson's post:  Agreed with this post. Always humble yourself.

Be a positive role model, be a good listener and motivator. Always expand my knowledge, Instructors are life-learners.

Adapt teaching style to suit students collectively or individually.

As an instructor you should always model professionalism and lead by example. Always look for ways to grow and develop yourself and your students.

The five C's of an effective instructor: Credible, Candid, Compassionate, Committed, and Clear

Instructor Competencies: Technical, Professional, and Personal

I still love the quote of the 6 P's, "Purposeful Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance." In the military we said it just a little bit different.

The biggest thing i got is to set the standard on how you want the class to go and what you want your students to take out of it.

Professionalism is important because it involves all areas of one's work.

It is important for to have a plan for how I am going to learn new information and techniques that will make me better as an instructor. Participating in professional development workshops. Most importantly, leading by example for my students.

This module has taught me the significance of demonstrating professional conduct through different means such as attire, speech, punctuality, etc. Moreover, it has emphasized the value of devising a strategy and continually investing in personal growth as an educator or leader in the classroom.

Sign In to comment