Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

You need to be a leader, mentor and show the students how to be respectfull for each other and professional about it.

Model appropriate behaviour and dress.

Manage your classroom successfully to allow for learning.

Motivate your students.

IT is important to have expereince in your field to be more successful in the class.

Model, Manage, Motivate.. self reflect.

For me, having a professional development plan is interesting.  I tend to take PD courses and seminars when they are offered--willy nilly-- to see what I can learn or to find new strategies for teaching, and to reflect on aspects of teaching.  I really need to be more targeted in determining my specific needs and find those PD opportunities around me to address where I need more growth or to be better informed.

The importance of professionalism.

Also, what resonates with me most is to not try and be the smartest perosn in the room. Instead, be passionate about the students and the subject you are teaching. 

Be excited about the subject and let it show!

Reply to Michelle DeJong's post:

I think a common mistake many instructors do is to try to prove how smart we are; like the presentation stated, there will be more intelligent people in our classrooms, however, we are the subject matter experts. 

Engagement and planning.

I totally Agree, that professionalism and behavior towards the student is extremely important and should be practiced on a daily basis. I think also as a educator we need to work on getting things more digital especially in my field of aviation.

"Student Learning is priority in class Not Teaching"

I liked the three roles: Model, Manager, and Motivator, and the 5 Cs: Credible, Candid, Compassionate, Committed, and Clear. I would add Confident.

I liked the three roles: Model, Manager, and Motivator, and the 5 Cs: Credible, Candid, Compassionate, Committed, and Clear. I would add Confident.

Credible, Candid, Compassionate, Committed and Clear is a very good place to start that I saw posted from another teacher. I would like to add humble and let your language be intelligent and appropriate not sorted and ambiguous, and I like the part about the possession of "soft skills" never heard it put that way.

As an instructor, leader in my classroom, development is a continuous process.

this has been a good reminder, in my carrier a lot of us fall into the habit of being lees concerned with some aspects of modeling and this was a good reminder to focus back in the basics. 

Be professional and lead by example

I've gained a better understanding of my roles as an instructor as well as some strategies to expand and improve upon my own personal competence. 

Other takeaways; Love what I know, and remember, the most important thing happening in the classroom is not merely teaching, but LEARNING. 

The 5 "C's"- be Credible, Candid, Compassionate, Committed and Clear!

This was refreshing! In the true sense. I know as instructors we tend to be reluctant to go through what we think we already know. The importance is we refresh ourselves and remember to be the best we can. I got: care share, be fair. and do not be afraid to dare! By caring we maintain humility and student engagement; by sharing we are accessing knowledge for students; by being fair, we are modeling good leadership; to dare, is to be the instructor that can do it all and bring current and future knowledge into play no matter our personal beliefs.

Sign In to comment