Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

evaluating

what is the best way of evaluating the effectiveness of your presentation ?

Interesting question & I will readily acknowledge a difficult one to fully answer. A couple of methods I would suggest for evaluating the effectiveness:

1. General audience reaction. Are they responding in the way you want them to? Smiling, agreeing to actions suggested, etc?

2. Another way is through the questions that are asked. If they are asking deep, probing questions, your presentation was probably effective. If there are no questions or they are surface, may need to reevaluate.

3. A third way to evaluate effectiveness is to conduct some informal polling, surveying afterwards. Through conversations with important individuals following the presentation you can probably pick up on whether you were effective or not.

Hope that helps.
Ryan

I agree, I think just watching the audience reaction will be a good indication whether the presentation is effective or not. You can read from the body language, whether they are paying attention to you or not. Also eye contact, when audience is avoiding eye contact, that means they don't remain engaged and they don't relate to the topic. If it is a small (less than 20) you can engage them and reel them back in by discussing something that the particular person is interested.

Great points regarding watching audience reaction. And I will also add that combining some questions to the audience with reading body language is even more powerful. There are some who process information in different ways, so they may appear to be disengaged, when in reality they are really thinking about a point you have made. Asking those deep, probing questions will help reveal whether they are thinking about your presentation or wondering what's for lunch! Great thoughts.
Ryan

I have found that one way to gauge audience understanding is to use a feedback form. I have used on-line questionnaires, printed forms and mailers as means of recording direct feedback. Each method requires an investment of time and sometimes money.

The drawback to using direct response is the individuals who hated the presentation, or have an issue with the material, are more likely to respond than those who are satisfied. I prefer a captive audience and often require feedback before adjourning a meeting or presentation. The results are more balanced when all attendees participate.

Some great suggestions Edmund. Another advantage of sending feedback forms after the presentation is this allows you to get an idea of the "stickiness" of your presentation. If the attendees can recall what you talked about at some point after the presentation, most likely that means you had an impact & were effective.

Ryan

Another good idea would be to video tape. You can watch the way they respond to you and see yourself the way they see you. As we go through our presentation and or speeches we think of different things we could or should have done differently. I know that sometimes with the hustle and bustle of everyday life I tend to forget, so yes I take notes or even take voice recorded notes to review for next time. Seeing yourself from the way they see you will give you a different perspective one that may be helpful and beneficial in making your presentation and or speech perfect.

Deana,
This is a great idea & one I often recommend. It is also a very humbling exercise! You are exactly right with your comments regarding this being a good reminder of the things you need to work on to improve.
Ryan

I agree. We can create some interest questions and that will catch their attention. They will smile and willing to answer them.

Yes, those interest questions or discussion questions can be very useful. I have found adult learners are generally very willing to participate in these discussions which helps break the ice as well.
Ryan

Also, if in the case of a sales presentations, your overall numbers.

Pay attention to your audience . Maintain eye contact. Body language speaks for itself. It let's you know if your audience is paying attention. Also, asks questions , it gets them involved.

I think asking questions of your audience is a great way to engage them.
Ryan

Confidence, in public speaking, comes easy when you have mastered all key points, and when you are confident you can be yourself and come across more clearly.

I do the same presentation every three weeks to a new group of students! Over the years doing this presention I have found what works and what doesn't. I go off of body language and feedback after the presentaion!

Great way to be reading your audience to gather that important feedback. This is especially important when you are doing a "routine" presentation such as this one. I find I can easily slip into a rut, so great job looking for feedback & incorporating it into the presentation.
Ryan

You can actually "quiz" the audience at the end. Ask them questions to see if they know your key point in an interactive discussion.

Bonnie,
This is a great idea & definitely one that the educational world can share with those more in the business world. By clearly stating those objectives of the presentation we then have grounds to quiz them.
Ryan

I find one good way to break the 'routine' delivery is to get the audience involved during presentation points. I ask for ideas and examples from our 'real world' that apply. This allows for some spontaneous discussion and also allows audience to consider points I've discussed and try to apply them with their examples. This approach also makes for a more 'casual' enviroment by getting audience involved. I'm not just the 'talking head'and audiece becomes important part of presentation. [This works well with small groups of course, 20 or under I think.]

Great idea! Also if your group is not responding well to this, you can have them split into small groups or pairs & do the same thing.
Ryan

Sign In to comment