Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Low expectations

What can one donas an employeeto increase or deal with expectations from higher up corporate staff ?

When expectations from management seem low, teams have a golden opportunity to exceed and demonstrate high achievement, but that could easily backfire if future goals are increased to an unrealistic level. The key would be to communicate (or open lines of communication) with management to help bring clarity to what is a challenging but realistic goal strategy...

I have found that being honest and straight forward with upper management has helped. Sometimes the expectations of your boss might be unrealistic to achieve many times because of the many tasks that employees are given at once. The best way to let your boss know that his/her expectations might be too high is by being clear and putting on paper all your current projects/tasks including dealine. Also, offering solutions rather than complaints, such as: "I can complete this task by such date" if perhaps I can get some help. Put clear the importance of your priorities especially if these, like in my case most have a compliance issue if not met timely.

NELLY,
this is a great & often overlooked strategy. Being honest with your boss & letting him/her know what you think your priorities are & what you can get accomplished in the alloted time. Then asking if they see it differently or if things can be dropped off.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment