Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hiding Stress

Hello,

This was a good overview of nonverbal communication. An area that I have personally had to work to overcoming is hiding stress at work. During extreme times of stress I have found that I can give the impression that I'm too busy to be approached. As a manager, that can be very frustrating for employees. I have learned the importance of managing stress and continually being aware of how I am presenting myself so that stress isn't misperceived as stand off-ish. As I have become more aware of this, I have found it's easier to manage and have seen the results of my team coming to me more often.

I have had similar issues trying to hide stress. even when yu think you are doing a good job of it, sometimes people can still see it.

Hiding stress is such a great topic for me. I personally have a stress relief that gets in the way of my communications with others. By this I mean that if I am very stressed and upset, it shows on my face, the redness of the skin and eyes. It is very hard to cover up or hide. More so this obvious displeasure will linger for a long time after an event or throughout the stressful overwhelmed episode. I have learned to stay focused and sometimes when I am stressed, it is a driving force for accomplishment. I am very task oriented, and I think that helps redirect my stressing thoughts.

I really do try to leave all my stress outside the office because it show in your face and behavior.

Stress could very challenging to hide specially when you are in the classroom environment, and it could be very damaging if you cannot control it. Taking deep breaths helps, if possible take a brisk walk. That’s how I deal with the stress.

I agree. Little involuntary tics and reactions can belie an otherwise clam exterior.

Sign In to comment