Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

email

Emails can be a great way to communitcate for a quick response

We are all so busy so email is the perfect way to communicate quickly. It is not like a telephone call where both parties must be communicating at the same time. No telephone tag. There is a written record so there should be less confusion.

I like email, but sometimes I think peoples personalities can be taken the wrong way. Everything must be cut and dry. It's all up to how someone takes a certain comment. People can be offended by a comment that wasn't meant to offend anyoone.

Joyce hit the nail on the head: emails are a 'written record'. Too many people have not learned or accepted the fact that business is business. So when we begin an email, for our own sake if nothing else, remember, you are creating a written record at your place of business. I think I always have two things in the back of my mind while writing an email: stay with the objective facts and be very respectful, i. e. 'Thanks so much,' etc. At work, writing things in all caps, using texting acronyms, and not respecting the normal rules of grammar should be avoided at all times. Play at home, get your warm fuzzies at home, at work business is business.

Continuing from Chuck's post, the third thing to always remember is that an email can be forwarded to people that you (as the writer) did not intend to see it. Before hitting 'send', make sure there is nothing in the email that could be taken the wrong way if it is forwarded by the recipient.

I completely agree with Chuck. Many employees at all levels tend to forget that emails are monitored and can be used as a written record.

We must continue to be professional in the information we include as well as the responses that we provide to each email.

I believe we also have to consider the return time in responding to email. Email is extremely impersonal compared to face-to-face communication, we do not have the physical response to help us determine how someone is reacting to the information, nor do we have the quick response that you have in face-to-face communication.

There are many factors that you must consider when communicating via written compared to verbal.

We do sometimes get lackadaisical in grammar and spelling when it comes to using the keyboard. It does create bad habits. As Mr. Torres suggest, think before your fingers move!
I still like using the telephone for a more personal touch. If I need documentation, I simple have them send an email of what was discussed. If it is really critical, I try to make it a personal visit.

It depends on the type of communication you are delivering. Emails can easily be overlooked, spamed, or "I'll get to it" - sometime soon?

I agree. It's all too easy for the reader to misinterpret a comment or statement because of inferences regarding tone or direction.

I agree with Chuck regarding writing emails, but verbal/ in person communication should always be oin the back of your mind. Some topics are best communicated verbally, because sometimes the written matter is not fully understood.

I agree with you. However we must be aware of not over-killing the use of this communication tactic.

Sign In to comment