Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Meetings- too often and too long

Hello,

One of the biggest challenges our department faces is the abundance of meetings that we are asked to attend on a daily basis. With a department of 27, this was indeed a "conference" that was being held on a weekly basis and the meetings were often very long with standing room only. To help keep this problem to a minimum, we have department meetings only as needed and usually try to split the meetings up by team so there is an opportunity for everyone to speak if needed. We have found this to be much more effective due to staff retaining more information from the meetings. Great overview!

I have found that if I speak with each employee that is in the group on a daily basis(this depends on the size yourof your group) then the meeting can be shorter as you have addressed any issues that may have come up, and by doing so it is easier. Imagine not cutting your lawn for 3 weeks, how many weeds have grown and how much work will it take to get all that work done. If you were to do a little bit each week or every day then the big problems would not be so big. It works for me.

Thanks for noting the value of "rounding". If managers discipline themselves to make the rounds of those they supervise and from whom they seek insights, they can resolve many issues before meetings are ever necessary.

WOW GREAT IDEA!!! I will be using this idea! Thank you

Sign In to comment