Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Providing Feedback at Work

I am an instructor at a technical college, and I never really thought of my feedback to students in the same vein as feedback from my employer at work. We all know how important feedback every week is to our students, and we should give praise as well as areas needing improvement - but I think most supervisors fail to give timely feedback. It always seemed awkward to me to get an "annual evaluation" and things would come up that never were mentioned in the previous year.

So I think we can apply our excellent feedback skills from the classroom that we give our students, to those who work for us - timely, relevant, helpful feedback is necessary!!

Good points. I always think of feedback to students as different than employee feedback due to the timing. We often do things at work that get no immediate recognition or are not commented on at all. With students, the feedback is more frequent. I think that employers could take a lesson from this and implement more frequent feedback to employees both on what they are doing well and areas to improve. --Joanna Palmer

Iwill apply this point of feedback to students as it is to me with my supervisor.It is a very good point.

I agree; I have benefitted myself from such feedback in the past.

I agree. Consistently supplying feedback in the work place is overlooked at times, especially compared to feedback to students. At times it is simpler to give feedback to students because they have homework or projects due that require grading.

You make a very valid point about needing timely feedback to students. This is something I find challenging due to time constraints, but absolutely necessary. If a student hasn't mastered something that's being built upon it only compounds the struggle. Timely feedback is key.

My experience has been to be direct when giving both positive and negative feedback in a classroom setting. When giving negative feedback be honest when expressing concern about someone's performance. Give feedback as soon as possible and provide specifics. When giving positive feedback, again provide specifics, and encourage continued satisfactory performance.

Sign In to comment