Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Organizing Your Material

When writing a communication, what strategies do you use to effectively organize your material?

What has worked for me in the past is breaking down my document into manageable parts. This method helps me to explain each topic effectively to my readers and get my point across.

Getting your point accros effectively the first time can eliminate doubts in the readers' mind as to what you are trying to say.

As you work through each category, stick to the point you are trying to communicate.

I agree sticking to point you are trying to communicate is a useful strategy. Careful review of an outline before writing the text I have also found very useful.

When I write a message I like to brain storm the message first to organize the material. I write my main topic in the center of a piece of paper and then start adding supporting branches.I have found by doing this I can cleary see if I have all of the topics I want to convey covered. Sometimes I have found that the message I want to send has to many topics. In these cases I will write seperate memos for each topic if they don't relate to each other.

When I write a message I list all the important information I need to get across to my reader. Then I place the information in order of importance. I write my main topic in the center of a piece of paper and then start adding supporting information. By doing this I can clearly see if I have all of the topics I want to covered. I want to send all the important information. In these cases I will write separate memos for each topic of information if they don't relate to each other. I print the Memos out and read them verbally to see if it make any sense and if it reads well I send it out.

Generally I try to keep all communication to one subject matter, this helps with organizing as well as getting your point across to the reader.

I like to make a rough draft of what I would like to get across to my readers, then move forward by writing the information in a more clear and concise manner.

When I write a communication, I try to jot down my ideas that I would like to cover. I then try to organize them into paragraphs that will flow smoothly from one to the next. I complete the first draft and then edit. After editing, I check for grammar and punctuation.

Hello agree that by keepng it simple and not to wording that it cuts down on the confusion with someone who can not pick the information as quickly as some one else.

Material can be oganizated as well being in a structure format. Depending upon which is easy's for the individual

When organizating your material remember the main purpose of your material first and the .And the critera for the material in which you are developing

When writing communications I like to do a rough draft. In fact, I will write several rough drafts. I use rough drafts to ensure that my communications are focused and concise. Sadly, I have a tendency to use unnecessary words, so I use this method to edit and simplify my work.

I try to keep it simple, but on point so the subject at hand doesnt get lost in the process.

I fine myself using the free writing first. I will then put my informantion in a traditional outline. When I do this I am sure to have good structure.

I have found that I do like to brain storm. It has help me to get my thoughts on paper. It even gives me more informantion than I would have thought about if I had not brain stormed.

Keeping communication limited to one subject at a time, detailing key concepts at the begining and being concise are strategies I use to organize my material.

When writing a communication I usually will brainstorm everything, then do draw the circle with the lines and pull out the main points.THen determine how to make it simple.

Hi Rita,

This is a very good point. For me, free writing stimulates creativity, then the outline helps to structure the flow of the content and/or message.

Thanks,

Jay Hollowell,

I use graphic organizer such as a concept map to organize a topic to teach or present in class

I have a tendency toward verbosity when writing. I often find it effective to purposefully make myself consider the reader and the purpose of the communication at the outset. This helps with organization. After considering the purpose, I can use brainstorming techniques to develop the most appropriate way to compile the message that needs to be delivered.

Sign In to comment