Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Facial expressions

It is important to realize that facial expressions say more than words and students know exactly what you are saying by looking at your face. Sometimes it may be best to be a "poker" face -- however, for most people, this is a difficult task.

Agreed. I realize that my expressions convey more than I do verbally. Trying to make the messages match is the key.

Facial expressions are most important. We have to concentrate and be positive.

Facial expression can at times do not indicate 100% how you are really feeling at the time. I remember once a student said to me "Smile it is not all that bad." I was happy but my facial expression was not giving that impression. A conscious effort to work on our non-verbals.

I have an issue with people mis interpreting my facial expressions. I am also working on this. My "in thought" looke is read as angry.

People have told me that I do not have a "poker face," or my face shows what I am feeling at any moment. The thing that bothers me is that I have no idea that I show my emotions and feelings on my face. People misunderstand me and do not take the time to ask me what I was thinking at the time. How does one fix their non-verbal communication without realizing they are using these non-verbal cues?

Non verbal communication is not just about facial expressions, it also is body language. you can tell if someone is really paying attention to you just by read their body and not just their face.

I only seem to have a poker face when I am playing poker, when it comes to the classroom my face spells out exactly what I feel, not always a good thing!

I think facial expressions most of the time reinforces your sincerity about what you are trying to convey to people.

I agree. Whether you want to convey a positive reaction or a negatie reaction facial expression says it all. Try to conceal your real feelings if they will hurt or confuse someone. Try to be as honest as you can with your words and your facial expression will back you up.
Patricia McCoy

I view body language and facial expression to go hand in hand, as they both reflect your inner "feeling" or view of what you are thinking and feeling about something. I find it hard to split them apart.

Sometimes people tend to read more into facial expressions than need to be read. A lot of times people are unaware of their facial expressions and the emotions they exhibit. I agree that sometimes it is best to exhibit no facial expressions and communicate your thoughts verbally to avoid confusion at all cost.

Facial Expressions often give away what a person may be really feeling, unlike verbal messages. Sometimes when you ask a person how they are doing and they say they are doing fine, we know that facial expressions convey that their verbal words were simply untrue. Facial expressions often tell a story about a person's life. Deep wrinkles and furrows, maybe they had a hard life. A well kept face can convey that the person cares about themselves. A face with deep dark circles may indicate a health problem. Facial expressions and the face convey much information about a person, and what their life is about.

I know that for myself, my expressions will tel the complete and honest story. I have to be extremely aware of my expressions when speaking to certain people so that I do not come off judgemental. In return, I also read expressions and body language in conversation to help process the verbal conversation.

facial expressions and head down appearance tell alot about people

Sign In to comment