Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Fear of Public Speaking

I believe that confidence goes along way. I have a troubled time speaking in crowds of people knowing or not knowing the subjct of discussion, but what I came to reaize is that if you put on confidence it helps you get through

I think that it helps to really target and bullet point the main information and not put in a lot of facts that are not keeping to the subject.

I get right to the subject at hand as i do notliek dpeaking in public

What does anyone think about using power point presentations, at least until you get used to being in front of people. I found that using other techniques releives the pressure of standing in front of people.

In my experience, PP presentations can be valuable even after you get used to speaking in public.
Certainly for the new speaker, it is a confidence booster. But even for the experienced speaker, it can be a tool to verify you haven't forgotten anything. Also, as you deliver and explain your several points, the "graphic" shows the relationship between each of your points. Listeners will generally remember more if they understand the relationship between various points.

Using a power point is a way to build your ability to speak in large groups like having a 2nd person helping you make your points.

I agree that power point presentions or some type of visual display, does attaract the listeners of you immediately

Preparing as much as you can ahead and knowing your subject help to alleviate your fear. Or at least breed some confidence.

i like power points because it not only helps you by having information there for you to see but if you put images and videos in it also it give the audience a visual about what you are talking about. It helps people with different ways of learning.

Developing confidence in yourself is very important. Knowing the topic does help that.

I like power point presentations for several reasons:

1) It keeps me more focused as a presentor and keeps me from wondering away from the subject.

2) Many people learn visually instead of just hearing the subject matter and learning from it.

3) Power Point presentations help to take some of the eyes off of me as a presentor and therefore help to establish my comfort level.

i had to do presentation for my instructor license only 2 people was there graders it took me two tries to pass i was a nervous wreck i don't think there was any thing else to do for me to pass 3rd time i passed i had to stop several times to catch my breath it's so funny i don't have a problem at class i feel that if i had to do it again I'd still wouldn't have confidence i still work on it it's a bad case of lack of confidence I'm not giving up

I always say fake it till you make it. Not to say that if one doesn't know what they are talking about they should get up in front of an audience but if you tell yourself you are confident and prepared you start to believe it. I came from a background of theater and I still get butterflies the first few minutes I am dealing with a new group of students. I get up there like I am the most confident person in the world and shortly after I began I am feeling more comfortable standing and talking. Lots of people have a fear of public speaking but just relax and be well prepared. You'll do just fine.

I agree having confidence in yourself is very important. the more you know about your subject the relax you are.

Practice, practice and practice. I record my presentation my phone, watch it, note down areas for improvements, then repeat the process till I feel pretty confident and ready. It's also very helpful to practice in front of someone you are familiar with - I usually start with my spouse, then my coworker, then my boss (if possible). They will provide me with different but valuable inputs to my contents and even presentation styles. Last but not the least, even with all the practice and inputs, I'm usually still very nervous when it comes to the time to speak in public, but by that point, I've had my presentation memorized and words just come out naturally.

Sign In to comment