Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Understand the role generations play in communication in the online co

What seems to happen is the older students have the ability to exercise judgment, offer moderation, a reasonable assessment of fact patterns, the younger students may lack the ability to make close calls and are at times unwilling to change their viewpoints as new information is presented to them.

Patter of Communications

Establishing a pattern of communication, the two most important things to consider and why: 1. Do you send messages that can be clearly understood, eliminate any need to interpret the message that may vary across the intended audience? The idea is to establish consistency. 2. Are you using the maximum efficiency to reach the intended audience? You want to make sure everyone that is impacted by your message is notified.

Considerations

The three most important considerations are (in my opinion): 1) Are the tools used user friendly, can someone with a high school degree understand how to use the technology with a minimum degree of effort or within a couple of hours training? 2) Can older students who may be retooling their job skills make use of the technology with minimum assistance to mitigate any hesitancy with respect to being part of an online class? 3) Have I had the necessary training to make use of the up-to-date requirements/technology that is a fundamental part of the course and is expected to… >>>

Reaching our students

Everyday we struggle to reach our students and make sure they understand what is expected of them. What more can we try? One method which is quite effective at establishing the role of instructor is to place a welcome call to the students.

How to Respond

As the reading materials in this section indicated, the instructor should refrain from giving the answers to the discussions early on. If the instructor responses indicate right and wrong responses, other students may then be more apt to respond based on what the instructor has indicated. Typically I will open the discussion with some additional places the students can research the topic (websites, reading material etc). Then I will engage them by asking additional questions. I try not to give away the answer with my questions, but encourage them to think a little deeper.

Provide Examples

I think the best way to encourage students to communicate effectively is to lead by example. I give them numerous examples at the beginning of class to show them what is expected. Also, when grading, I explain better ways in which something could have been worded and why.

Challenges of Discussion Threads

As much as I think the discussion threads are a wonderful means for all to communication within the online class setting, I also feel they pose a lot of challenges. As the instructor, I have often find it difficult to engage the students in a conversation. I find a lot of learners come in to the discussion, post what they are required for the week then never return. In an effort to deter this type of behavior, I now include in my class policies that I may ask questions in response to their discussion posts. They should respond to these… >>>

Rubrics

I have found rubrics to be extremely helpful in my online classes. Not only does it provide students with clear cut guidelines on what is expected of them, it keeps me on track with grading consistently as well. Thus when I communicate back to my students as to why they received a certain grade, I can do that more clearly and refer them back to the rubric.

Webex

I love to use the Cisco Webex tool that the school I teach at offers. This is a great way to communicate with my entire class. Not only does it provide a personal atmosphere with phone line conversation, visuals are provided as well. I feel it gives the students a great environment for learning and connecting with me as well as their classmates.

Phone calls

What is everyone's opinions on phone calls to students? Since we teach in an online environment is calling them on the phone ever "too much"?

Rubric Use

I love the example rubric in the learning materials! Is there anyone who has another rubric that they use and would be willing to share?

Using Facebook

I was wondering how many who have chosen to use this format have found it successful. Although I use Facebook for personal use, I am very leary of using it for classroom use. Any other ideas?

developing rubrics

i find the use of rubrics the most useful of all when it comes to grading. the helpful point for me is that is keeps me me to be more objective when considering the grading points and to track student progress. it took me awhile to be happy with the with rubrics that i developed, but now that i have them. i really enjoy using them.

Group Projects

The lesson idicated that collaboration is an integraded form of gropu work. I agree and find when I assign group projects early in the program students begin to develope that sense of community that is so important and it stays with them through out the block

Fostering communication between different types of students.

There are many benefits that adult students receive from a collaborative learning environment. These benefits include; both the facilitator and the students becoming part of the educational experience - instead of the instructor being the “sage on the stage”, knowledge is created and shared amongst the students – instead of being passed on by the instructor, and a sense of ownership and pride is shared by the adult students. When students play a role in creating and sharing the knowledge amongst themselves, they have a higher retention rate of the material. This is accomplished because students end up having an… >>>

Importance of using a rubric to foster communication.

When creating a rubric, I would share my expectations for quality work in the area of content when giving assignments by sharing the rubric with my students from the beginning of class. I would also post any rubrics that are going to be needed in the class the day before the class starts. I would encourage students to ask any questions that they have regarding the assignment and the rubric before starting their assignment. Disclosure of expectations benefits me and my students because it gives my students the ability to know what I am looking for in the content of… >>>

Rubric Stratification

How many levels of assessment are necessary for optimal evaluation? Does beyond a certain number make the rubric either overly burdensome or less effective as a tool for student evaluation?

Does the type of course make a difference

I teach accounting and in my accounting discussion forums I find that when I do not respond immediately my students feel they have the incorrect answer. Does how timely we answer our students depend on the type of course?

Grouping students together

Would it be beneficial to try and group students together based on their generations? Could I, as an online instructor, encourage my students to seek out communication with other students from the same generation or would it be beneficial to encourage my students to "mingle" with those from other generations?

Encouraging Students to Participate in Discussions

How can we, as instructors, encourage our students to participate in our discussion forums with substantive posts? Also, how can we get students to understand the importance of the discussion forums and how these forums will create a sense of a "real class"?