Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I Find Showing Interest In Helping Students

really goes a long way in their drive to succeed.

Reid,

Right on. Develop the community of learners and let them know you care about them. Thanks.

I cannot agree more. I think it's very easy for students to determine whether a instructor truly cares about them. I'm just one of those instructors that really does care. I provide countless and handouts, and communicate regularly through email and through my announcements board . I'm eager to simplify the process and I also want them to know that I'm here as a source of support. I think the majority of my students catch on to the fact that I'm a very "present" instructor and that I am in fact, interested in their success. Although I'm not an easy instructor, I will support my students and continue to push them towards excellence.

Reid,

So in what ways do you provide this via an online environment? I certainly care and want them to know I care and do so via E-mails and keeping up with them and getting them focused, etc.. Love to hear other options and ideas.

William Huber

Jade,

There is true caring and fake caring. It can be easily identified by students. Being fair, upholding e course outcomes and having high expectations is caring. Thanks.

William and Reid,

Again, good questions. Keeping student focused can be an all day job. I try to do this more through discussion boards and announce,ends than emails. We all find what works for us.

Jade,

Good for you ... we need teachers like you!

I think students also catch on because of the detail and interest that comes through our efforts.

I know there are times that I wonder why I'm "wasting" so much time on feedback or whatever, but that is part of the price we might pay for being a good and caring teacher.

Keep it up!

Tom

Thomas and Jade,

We need good teachers and the students need meaningful feedback. Keep up the good work. Thanks!

I agree with your statement "students can determine whether a instructor truly care about them".

I have had students communicate to me that he or she did not/do not have a positive role model in their lives and appreciate that I push them to the limit (with love) by expecting the best from them.

When student submit their essays, it is expected/required that a cover page and reference be included. I have students tell me that they never typed a cover page or reference or haven't written a paper in years. Because I know that we have students with wide range of educational differences, I attach a sample copy in our "Course Question" thread so they use as a reference.

I get an appreciation out of knowing that the student who didn't know how to submit an academic essay has now been educated and will remember what to do in future classes.

Kimberly,

Instructors can be easily "read" sometimes. We have to care and show that we care, but we care about their learning and achieving the course outcomes. It's important.

Yes! It was sweet I get many emails from students telling me that is what sets me apart from other instructors they have had in the past. I do not see my students as an ID number but rather a human capable of huge success in life. I spend the time to write them letter of recomendations, coach them for interviews, help them with work/life balance issues and overall show that I care.

Dawn,

Sounds like you really do care and your students know it. Keep doing the wonderful things you are doing. Take care.

HI Reid

I agree. Everyone has a need to be heard and investing a little extra time to find out more about a student really helps them become more invested in the course.

Eleanor,

Right on. We all want to know our opinion matters and we are a part of the communication community. Thanks!

Sign In to comment