Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communication best practice

As I look at some of the really good ideas about communication, I wonder if it would help for us to talk about best practice. Also, what does not work well. For me, it seems that 80% of the time, I can communicate well with students via e-mail. Any thoughts?

Dale,

You may be communicating better than you think through email, but I use a FAQ section on BBoard and students do not email me directly, but ask questions of me and their peers on this FAQ. This helps alleviate many emails to me and their peers answer many of their questions quickl.

As do I--communication/discuss boards that have a FAQ will take the burden off of the instructor to send the same email numerous times. This has been useful with large classes.

I've learned a few best practices regarding communicating via e-mail:
* Include the purpose of the e-mail: why you are writing/delivering information
* Deliver information in short, incremental paragraphs
* Encourage them to see contact you if there are questions and give them the appropriate times/means to do so
* Reference a weekend somewhere ("have a good weekend," "I hope you had a good weekend," etc)--in other words, make small talk, preferably with an exclamation point. Fitzgerald said we are all designated three for a lifetime, and I'm not one to use them in my writing otherwise, but appearing casual and excited to hear from them is important.

Michael,

Definitely. I use them all the time. Anything we can do to reduce email overload is important. Thanks got your input.

Jason,

Love these guidelines. Wish everyone followed them. I think doing this will help build a positive relationship with the students as well.

Thanks.

I agree - I think email is the best way to communicate with current students. I highly encourge this form of interaction when students have assignment questions, personal questions, and outside issuesnot related to class.

I feel email allows me and the students to be thorough and honest. Also, email tools such as "Attachements" are easy to use. finally, email can occur at anytime. A message can be waiting for you where something like Instant Messaging needs two people to complete the interaction.

Jason. Thanks for the best practice list. I find email to be one of the most effective methods of communicating with my students. I can be personal, deliver the information, include "small-talk" and communicate my enthusiasm for course material or the opportunity to connect with the student in the first place.

I've also included a first sentence that says:

"Thank you for your email. I appreciate the communication."

This helps students know that I welcome their communication as well. Because most of communication is based on tone, something we can't include per se in an email, I set up a friendly tone from the first sentence.

Again, thanks for sharing best-practices. These are so helpful!

Dale. Email is my preferred way for I2S communications. It allows me to be personal, professional and readily available all at the same time. I always end my emails with:

"Feel free to email me with any questions. I'm here to help you learn and succeed."

In the online environment it's important to let students know that a real human being is there for them!

Brian,

Just make sure you don't instill email overload. A good LMS will allow for a discussion board and/or document sharing so that you are not overwhelmed with email. But, as we have said before, we all find what works for us. Keep up the good work.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Nancy,

Thank you all. We are getting so much useful information from each other through these forums. Nice job to you all.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Nancy,

Nice way to end the emails. We do want student to feel comfortable asking questions. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

I have used email for personal communication. Has anyone used the telephone for other than student personal issues?

Alan,

Yes, I have used the phone for a general introduction of myself and the content. It starts the development of the learning community. Thanks for your input.

Hi Dale,

I do most of my communication by email as it seems to work better for me but there are times where I will have to pick up the phone and call my student.

For example, me and a student might be emailing back and forth about an Assignment and I can gauge by his or her responses/dialogue that they are not comprehending what I am communicating. Instead of continuing with the email exchange, I will call them. The telephone call ensures that I want them to understand the Assignment so that they can do thier best work and make a good grade.

When I call my students for what ever reason, I can hear the excitment/appreciation/disbelief in his or her voice that their Instuctor actually took the time to call them.

Kimberly,

Thanks for your input. Email is quick and helpful, but can become overwhelming. I like that you understand that and will pick up the phone when needed. Thanks for your input.

I feel the same. About 80-90% of my total communication outside the classroom is via email. I think that one can tell the student that needs more attention. I am available for texting and phone calls but I have not opened up communication via Skype or AIM.

Emily ,

We all do what works for us. I've been successful in reducing the number of emails I answer by using a FAQ Discussion Board. Students post questions there and anyone can answer them. I give bonus points for those that answer other students' questions correctly and completely. If someone emails me I tell them to post the question (as long as it's about the class) to the FAQ discussion board so all can benefit from the question and answer. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment