Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

technology tools

For 21st centuary, technology tools have become very important not only for learning but also for communication. Today in any field like emergency manager or planner or responders job, technology tools have become a vital part of the life cycle.

Identifying Principles of Learning

What Principles of Learning do you believe are most important for your online teaching?

Successful Online Learning Techniques

What pitfalls do you see your online students falling into and how do you help them "get out of the pit"?

Identifying Technical Skills

What technical skills do you see as important for your online students?

Developing Technical Skills

In your online course, how do you decide whether to use asynchronous or synchronous communication tools?

Improving Communication Skills

How do you help students improve their reading, writing, and communication skills?

Developing Non-Technical Skills

In your online course, how do you help students become good online citizens?

Student Self-Analysis

Why is it important to ask online students to complete a self-analysis inventory?

Self-Analysis Inventories

As an online instructor, why is it important to complete a self-analysis inventory?

What must be included in the implementation of an academic honesty po

For an academic honesty policy to be implemented, it should examples of violation and the consequences for such violations.

Rubric

Rubrics are good tools to help inform the students what to expect from the topic to be discussed.

Generation Gap

I for one can tell you that I fall somewhere in-between the YOUNGER and the OLDER generations. But still being behind on the times has made it far more difficult to succeed and fit in with the “younger” students. It takes a lot of questions and prying to get answers to questions about technology that may come easier to the younger kids, although now more than say ten years ago, it is far easier to navigate through a web site do to the boom of technology just in the past ten years.

Communication

Communication is important, especially for anyone in a non-traditional environment. Boundaries and guidelines need to be enforced so that each person enrolled has a direct line of open communication without the fear of being penalized or scrutinized from the instructor or from other participations.

Technology

Today more than ever it is so important to keep up with current trends especially geared towards technology. It is changing so quickly, it seems once you get the hang of it, it is obsolete and there is something new to learn. What are some good web-sites to keep up to date on all the changes that are happening with education and technology?

Group Work

One of the biggest challenges my students seem to be facing is group work. Most seem to understand how to do the group work, but the problem is that there are some students who either aren't participating at all in their group or are only participating in a minimal capacity. This causes the students who are handling most of the work to become nervous about their grade and resentful toward the non-participating students. I know a lot of instructors base their grade on the group as a whole, but I don't feel that the hardworking students should lose points because… >>>

Text Speak

One of the biggest problems I've had in my course is students using text speak (lol, ttyl, gr8t) in their writing assignments. I've told them not to use it, but I've never actually written it down in a communication code of conduct. That's a great idea from this course, and I plan to have a communication code of conduct for all my future classes.

Online Plagiarism Tools

I teach at a two-year career college, and we are required to have students submit their research papers via a website called Turnitin. This is supposed to check for plagiarism in each student's paper. However, I've had a lot of bad luck with it, and students' and other teachers' feedback mirrors my own. Do any of you have experience with Turnitin? Do you have any tips on making it more user-friendly and useful in general?

Facebook as a communication tool?

I teach for an online career college, and I have found that one of my bigger challenges is to get the students to engage with each other. I had one class in particular that did a great job with this, and I could see that it made such an improvement on everyone's performance. I was wondering if anyone had tried to use Facebook as a tool to get classes talking to each other. How did you set it up? How did it work? Would you recommend it? Thanks!

Professionalism and Respect

At the start of each course that I teach, on-site or online, I always lay out a comprehensive guide of course expectations. We spend the first lecture discussing the expectations and I send students home with a print version. One of the big sections in the lecture is "Respect in the Classroom." This is a theme that I mention sporadically throughout the course. I try my very best to maintain a positive an encouraging learning environment. I always explain to the students that they need to be professional in what they are doing/saying and that if they violate this, they… >>>

Communication

It is in my best interest as an instructor to keep up with technology. My students sometimes are much more advanced in the techno world.