Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Telephone Communication and Online Instruction

I have found a dramatic increase in Discussion Board participation when I call a student, introduce myself (before the course starts)and get a little personal with regards to what he wants and expects from the course.
What does everyone think about giving out their personal number to students?

Jim,

That
Ersonal touch can mean so much to the students. I don't give out my home or cell number but allow ample opportunities for contacting me at work, through email, discussion boards and virtual (synchronous with talking head Adobe Connect) office hours. I do know other though that give students their home number. I think it is an individual decision we all make.

Jim,
I don't have a problem with giving out my number. However I make it clear that I only accept calls during designated office hours. I find that if I don't do that, I get calls at all hours of the day.

Dr. Crews,
I find your method to make good sense. I think the bottom line comes down to what works best for each of us. My process seems to work ok with the phone, but that doesn't mean that it won't change, if students do not follow my rules. So far they are doing so.

Dale,

You are right. We all have to find what works for us and our students and use it to the best of our ability. Thanks!

Dale and Jim,

Again, it comes down to what works for us. We each have our own things that help us and our students be successful. Thanks for your input.

That's a very good point about the office hours, but as I have only a cell phone and some of my students are in Germany, for example, it may not be practical for some of them.

I gave out my cell number in previous courses, but I found that this meant the student felt free to consider me more a peer than a professor. I guess I sound younger than I am, but I haven't found a way to mitigate this with my older students.

Jennifer,

Just set up an area online in which students can contact you during specific times and make sure you check it at those times. Or use Skype or something like that for professional communication with your students.

One thing to be very careful of - once you give out your number you cannot take it back. I have heard of a situation where another instructor had issues with one student calling in the middle of the night because that is when he got off work and another student who was unhappy with the instructor making unhappy and inappropriate calls.

I do not give out my number, but am readily accessible via IM, email, and discussion board. If we end up needing to have a call, we will set up appointment and I will call with *67 to block my number.

Stephanie,

That is so right. It gives you pause. We must all be available to our students, but we mus tt do what we feel comfortable with. Thanks.

I develop my personal number to the students in each course I teach. I was mentioned what hours they can call. I let them know I will return their calls within 24 hours. I quite often let the answering machine pick up the call since I don't know for sure what is. It helps to know before I talk to the student would is and what they're calling about. This way I can get a little thought to how I can help them.

Joan,

We all have our methods of communicating with students. It sounds like you have a system that works. Nice job.

That is how I have my modules setup. My office hours are on Wednesday throughout the course.

Steven ,

Cool. Sounds like you have found a system that works for you.

Nice job.

With the ever-increasing use of student satisfaction surveys, I have searched for ways to enhance my online instruction. As such, I have started a Dr. Hunter’s half-time session. Typically, students have the opportunity to speak with me over the phone to design a new strategy to improve their performance midway into the course. We discuss what is working well and what needs to be changed/improved to help students reach their goals in the class or to make that “A”. This serves a two- fold purpose. First, the phone calls help to build rapport with students whom might otherwise not have the opportunity to interact with a live instructor. Secondly, it allows the student an opportunity to improve their performance with personalized coaching from an instructor. As such, it is a win-win situation.

Debra,

Ah - a half-time session. What a great concept and it's one they will understand and take advantage of. Thanks for sharing.

Sign In to comment