Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generational Information

One thing I found extremely important in this segment of the course is the need to identify generational information. Part of the problem here is that an instructor may assume everyone in the class approaches the subject matter in the same way as he or she might. Simply examining information available about students in the class will allow an instructor to tailor his or her facilitation to each generation represented in the class. I found it extremely important to realize that each generation has social skills that are different from members of another generation and this realization can definitely improve the quality of an instructor's facilitation skills.

Edward,

You provided a good summary through your post. Thanks for your input. I'm glad you learned something from this segment.

At times when teaching online it can be difficult to determine generational information. I do notice that the babyboomer generation has wonderful content but does show some problems with technology. In my school we have "live chats" in which we can interact with the class. During those live chats I find it easy to show the students how to achieve their goals when working with a computer. Many do not know how to make a PowerPoint, so walking them through one really helps their grades.

Janis,

Dr. Tena B.

Yes, many can benefit from step by step instructions. It is worth you while to take the time. Thanks.

Yes, while I've heard these terms used before, this was the first time I've seen the clarification and definition thereof. The generalization of the traits of each generation were interesting and important to adapt to in teaching and providing feedback.

Robert,

Glad you got something out of the module and the term were more clarified for you. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment