Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generational roles...another thought...

All,
I like the way that the course clearly defined generational roles and how each generation thinks differently. However, in my experience I can say that I have seen all the different characteristics in each of the different roles. I have seen Gen X react they way a Boomer would react, and I have seen Gen Y act in a way that A boomer would act. So when looking at these roles, are we painting with a broad brush? Are we over-generalizing?

Dale,

Right on. Me too. I'm an excception to the rule myself. But there are some generalities that are helpful ton know.

Dale,

I think maybe we are being very general with these guidelines but it does give us a starting point in understanding what we might see within these age groups. There are always exceptions but I think the idea is to give us a baseline to start with. Gives us some insight into how they grew up and what was taught to them. My biggest example is the respect levels of kids today vs years ago. I feel this generation of kids are very disrespectful and it is because they are concerned with themselves and not others. They suggest this in the notes.

William Huber

William and Dale,

Thanks for sharing. You are right, it gives us a baseline. We all have to get to know our students. Thanks.

Hello Colleagues, :-)

I'm in agreement with Dale. The information is general, but does let us know where are students may be coming from. Regardless of their generation, I expect all students to follow the guidelines that have been set in the school syllabus. It's the anchor from which students may need to be reeled in from their various generational lines. They may be coming from different places in time, but I expect them all to adhere to the same standards. I facilitate the class to meet that objective; I assist each student to meet the classroom goals by complimenting their success and pointing out to them areas that need improvement.

Kind regards,
Sara Fine
Online Instructor

To some extent we may be painting with a broad brush, but the key is to recognize each of the student's needs so as to provide the right learning experience. I've found in the past that the mix of students in the classroom can help other learn. For instance, posting to the FAQ's about a question on where something is at can be quickly answered by other students and may develop collegiate relationships (something that may be lacking in an online environment).

Sara,

Keeping the students on track and moving toward achieving the learning outcomes is essential. Nice job.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Roberto,

You are right. These are generalities, but the key is to understand our students so that we can provide content more appropriately. Thanks.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Dale,

Great question/insight.

It reminds me a bit of the learning styles. Not everyone may fit into a specific style, but it does help to have a baseline knowledge.

Yet, I hear the danger of "boxing" in a person before you really listen to that person as an individual ... and then go from there. Use the broadstrokes only then.

Thanks,
Tom

Thomas,

You are right - we can't "box" all students in to a certain learning style. That's why it is important to provide content to the students in a variety of ways. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment