Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Telephones

I find it helpful to sometimes talk with students on the telephone to aid in the reduction of stress over feedback and grades. Chris

Chris,
I agree. I think that for a lot of students in the online enviornment, the grade book feedback vcan be hard for them. Especially when the grade is not good. Having follow up discussion on the phone often makes them feel better.

Christopher,

Reducing stress is important. If it takes a phone call, it is totally worth it. Tanks for your input.

Dale and Chris,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Students do need more than just a grade. More feedback is needed to explain how the grade was determined. That's where rubrics help. Thanks1

At our online school, student information is not given to the instructor. We have only the students name, gender, time zone and email address. Any other information is considered unnecessary to the instrucvtor. Therefore we can not initiate telephone calls to students. An instructor can give out a personal cell phone or home phone number if they choose but they can not call a student unless the student sends an email with their phone number and requests a call.

This has proven very difficult in some cases. Giving out a home or cell phone number can be very hard on family life as online students tend to think their instructors should be available 24/7. I received a phone call at 3 in the morning from a student who was surprized to here I was asleep and even after being told it was the middle of the night, she felt I should still answer her question.

In an online environment I prefer to keep everything in an online format and only talk to students by phone when it is requested by a student for a specific issue. Even then I set an appointment for the day and time and I call them.

Dr. Eileen ,

Interesting. So, if they don't check their email, that could be a problem. But, I see your point about students calling at all hours. Seems like you have a communication plan figured put. Good job.

Hello, I find the opposite is true. I request or suggest the phone as a communication tool... most of my students reject the telephone and prefer live chat or IM

I believe that the students are "afraid of the discussion" for a variety of reasons.

First have you experienced this type of issue?
(P.S. I facilitate economics courses. Problems arise due to the nature of critical thinking and math skills that are required for the completion of the assignment.)

Albert,

Interesting how we all find things work a little differently for ourselves. It's good we try new things and see what works best for us and our students.

Chris, I find a telephone is so much more "real" than the texting and emailing. Long ago, that's all we had was the telephone. Now people hardly talk. So in the educational process, I feel it is highly important for instructors to address their students on the phone, and discuss any issues that may arise.

Karen,

Seems like you have found a communication system that works for you. Thanks for sharing with us.

Without a question, I use the telephone starting the first week of the course to make personal contact with stragglers—usually with positive results… always following with an email. Rolando

Rolando,

The personal contact is important. Keep up the good work.

Phone calls can be really encouraging to a student. I once had a student call me right before she went on an interview. She was nervous and I gave her a pep talk to get her confidence up. A couple days prior I looked over her work to make sure she was only showing the best of the best to the employer. It feels good to help students succeed and be a source of moral support. The only concern is that you can not always answer your phone when someone calls but just like email you can get back to them when the time is more appropriate.

I agree. Has anyone had a situation where the student badgered you over the phone about the grade? This has never happened but in an email it has.

Dawn,

I agree. I have had students tell me that they cannot believe I took the time to call them.

Thanks!

Dawn,

Yes, I have had students call about their grades. But, with rubrics and set expectations, good grading procedures, it's clear cut.

I just explain what they did and how to calculate the grade and the grade is what it is.

Rubrics are a big help. Grading is always tricky in my industry because the rubrics themselves can be subjective. For example, "has a clear understanding of the principles of graphic design". I do my best to be as clear as possible in my expectations however and do not have too much of a problem.

It is nice to make a call once in a while. Especially since students only hear your voice in a Live Chat.

Dawn,

Love rubrics. They help everyone involved. The students even see the purpose of using rubrics. Thanks!

Dawn,

It is again a part of that community building that we are working on. Thanks for sharing.

Sign In to comment