Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Blog Usage Policies

What are the two types of guidelines that online instructors should consider when using blogs in the online classroom?

Purposes of Blogs

Why is a blog a good educational tool?

Microblogging Activities

As an online instructor, what microblogging activities could you incorporate into your online course?

Facilitating a Connection

As an online instructor, how can you use microblogging to facilitate a connection between students and experts in the field?

Content Development

As an online instructor, which do you believe is more important - student content development or instructor content development - when incorporating microblogging into your course?

Benefits of Microblogging Activities

What are the benefits of incorporating microblogging activities in an online course?

Assessment of Use of Media Sites

As an online instructor, how would you assess students' use of media hosting and sharing sites?

Media Site Facilitation and Use

As an online instructor, how would you effectively facilitate the use of media hosting and sharing sites?

Media Hosting and Sharing Policies

What should students understand after reading the media hosting and sharing policies?

Educational Media Hosting and Sharing Sites

What are a few examples of media hosting and sharing sites geared more toward education?

Content and Policy for Proper Use

Why is it important for students to develop good social networking habits?

Purpose of Social Networking

What does the "six degrees of separation" concept mean in social networking?

Providing Technology Resources

With any online course the learning management system used needs to be understood and navigated easily. Some schools offer brief face to face orientations, others online tutorials etc.. Not only do we need to make sure that our students have the correct software and hardware they also need to correct resources to help them navigate the course and trouble shoot any issues or problems they may have. I like using a Start Here tab which walks them through all the pertinent information needed and also walks them through the tabs and gives them a list of resources either links, phone… >>>

Tool Assess Students' Technological Capabilites and Relay Such to Us

Amazing how young adults and kids today pick up on new technological concepts and ideas so quickly. However, many young students we teach are not as savvy. Many who did not have ready access to computers often find they understand little more than surfing the web and sending a simply email without attachments. Therefore, when I encounter students in the classroom I am quick not to assume anything. I ask if they understand or know how to achieve certain tasks. Some think they know more than they do? Is there a tool the schools use or can use to assess… >>>

Reassuring Students that What They Have to Say Is Important

Many students who do not post on time feel that their participation on the board really does not matter to overall discussions. What matters is they eventually post and receive credit. At some schools, I am capable of enforcing a no-tolerance rule where late posts are not accepted despite circumstances. However, in all fairness, at these schools posts are worth as little as 10 points as opposed to 50, 60 and 120. But nevertheless, when students do not post, I find it helpful to remind them that we were not able to hear their voice concerning the discussion, that what… >>>

Addressing students

When I respond to a student's grade, quiz, or discussion board posting, I always use Ms. or Mr. and their last name. To me, if I require them to address me as Dr. to show respect, then turnabout is fair play by respecting them through their title. How do you address your students?

Generation Gap or Lowering the Bar?

Sometimes I wonder if we use the excuse of the generation gap and how the younger generations respond as a way to lower the educational standards. The ability to speak and write in a professional manner is imperative. Credibility can come into question if the student in their professional career cannot compose a solid sentence or express a thought without using street language. Do you believe the generation gap theory has resulted in lowering our educational standards?

Acceptable Use Policy and Cyber Aggression

As I mentioned in Forum 1, my doctoral research was on institutional and counseling policies and procedures response to cyber aggression. When I read about the Communication Code of Conduct, I reflected back to the Acceptable Use Policies of the institutions I researched. Their AUP did not really address cyber aggression or clear consequences for inappropriate behavior. If your institution has an Acceptable Use Policy, then the Communication Code of Conduct should stem from that policy correct? If not, other than the instructor, who would enforce or support the Communication Code of Conduct? Should legal counsel or someone in administration,… >>>

Securing Effective Communication on Social Network & VirtualSites

I conducted my doctoral research on cyber aggressive behaviors against institutional and counseling policies and procedures. I have to tell you I am very concerned on several levels using social networking and virtual worlds as locations for effective instruction. First of all, there are security issues and breaches in privacy. Although I did not find a FERPA ruling, I feel it will be a matter of time before FERPA steps in and addresses this issue. Secondly research has shown there is a disconnect between fantasy and reality between the ages of 13 to 27 unless they are in a grounded… >>>

Rubrics

Others have already pointed this out, the use of rubrics is most useful with respect to grading. Students can see the minimum criteria, and many choose to meet only the bare minimum and I will point out the need to participate more in the class, and some choose to meet the minimum requirements and earn a “C” for the class.