Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Levels of Knowledge -Technology and Otherwise

One thing most of my students have in common is a thirst for knowledge. Otherwise . . . The general age range is from late teens to late 60's/early 70's. Some have been working with computers for years, others acquired their first computers when they signed up for online classes. Education levels go from GED to working on a second or third degrees,due to career changes or returning to school after being out of the education system for years. The list of differences could go on and on. By far, by teaching on line, I am working with the most… >>>

Codes of Conduct with Faculty

It may seem to go without saying, however it must be said; faculty need a Code of Conduct too! SOmetimes we need to remind our faculty that there are proper and unacceptable ways to interact with students online. For example it is not acceptable to discipline a student in a discussion forum in front of all other students. Once it's out there...it's out there! The thing about the INternet is that once something is on the Internet it never goes away, and being on an online environment you cannot take something back. I believe instructors and faculty should be required… >>>

Part of Intro course

I never thought of it until taking this course, but Netiquette is something I am now going to write into our Intro. course. We've had some issues with students who have really gone off the deep end and made racial comments and told some hazing stories that really offended other students. Those students then complained to the school. One student even felt afraid. One thing we do not have in place is a Netiquette Guide but I am going to write one now. Thanks to this course I now have the idea. I would like to learn more in depth… >>>

How do they know what they need?

This is the first time I've managed a learning program in an online environment. It has been very challenging trying to seperate what students need between academics and technology. When they say they don't understand something we have to ensure whther they are referring to the topic and content itself, or the way in which it is being delivered. Because the student is not right in front of us to see whether the knowledge connection is taking place, we have to dig deeper for knowledge acquisition. It has been a challenge and because we do not use testing it adds… >>>

Generational Roles

Why is it important to understand the role generations play in communication in the online community?

Generational Roles

Why is it important to understand the role generations play in communication in the online community?

Rubric Role

What do you think is the role of a rubric?

Rubric Role

What do you think is the role of a rubric?

Pattern of Communication

When establishing a pattern of communication, what do you believe are the two most important things to consider and why?

Pattern of Communication

When establishing a pattern of communication, what do you believe are the two most important things to consider and why?

Technology Communication Tools

When assessing the use of technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider and why?

Technology Communication Tools

When assessing the use of technology communication tools in a virtual learning environment, what do you believe are the three most important things to consider and why?