Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

High Quality Online Instructors

Aside from being an organized individual, what characteristics do you think determine an effective Online Instructor?

Jim,

Timely, good communicator, willing to try new things, choosing the right technology, using rubrics...I could go on forever. :-)

Jim,

Good question. I think one is having been an online student yourself. Another is finding a way to know what a students technology and computer skills are. Knowing this enables you to help them at the start of the course so that they hopefully do not get frustrated and quick. I find that if a student can not navigate a course easily and guidelines are not set out clearly and concisely is also detrimental. What do you think?

William Huber

As an instructor in the Visual Communications program, trying new things is certainly part of the growing process. Being a good communicator is seems absolutely mandatory.
Jim DeLapine

Hi William,
I've never been an online student so I could not address that. I'm not sure if it would make for a higher quality online instructor, but it certainly could only help.
Jim DeLapine

William and Jim,

You ask good questions. I learned so much when I took an online course and saw everything from the student perspective. I really learned more about what NOT to do. It is helpful.

Jim,

Right on. Communication is essential. Thanks for emphasizing it again.

Jim,

You see things from a perspective when you see things from the student side. The experience is good. Thanks.

Dedication is definitely a must in online instructors. The ability to show the student that you are interested in that you care about helping them is also very important.

Joan,

We have to be dedicated to our students, content, and adancement of knowlege. It's not an easy task, but rewarding.

Competence, character, and creativity all help one to be an effective online instructor.

First of all, you have to know your content. If you don't, the students will know it and become mistrustful of you, the course, and the school itself. This means being prepared, knowing the material, etc.

Secondly, you have to have character. Integrity and ethics are key. Set a guideline and keep it. Treat students respectfully, as people with lives outside of the online class. How you approach problems and questions also indicates character. Don't lie to students.

Creativity is a final element of being effective at online teaching. This includes being personable, creative in your approach, finding new ways of doing the same thing, etc. Using voice and facial expressions and humor are key. We need to keep students engaged, and in a synchronous class, those are pivotal. With asynchronous classes, those things must be clear via written responses or video posts in the course.

Online instructors need to be good humans: competent and creative with a large dose of character.

Kristin,

Love your last line. We do need to be all of these things. This really is true in life in general. ;-) We all need to strive to be more effective in the online environment. Thanks for your input.

An online Instructors should provide clear guidelines for interaction with the students. The instructor should also provide assignment deadlines, discussion forums to promote networking among the students, provide prompt feedback and praise for high quality work to reinforce high expectations.

When I first became an online instructor, I searched for this answer online.

Emory,

"Clear" is the key word. As instructors we have to be clear with our expectations. That is essential thanks for your input.

Jim,

Being able to keep students interested and have them take part in the assignments whether a DB or a project. I guess that means that an instructor should be a good communicator and "director" to help students motivate themselves to do the work.

Frances

Frances and Jim,

You both bring up good points. The "director" you discuss is the facilitator and we have to learn how to be "recovering content providers." We don't dump the content on the students, but we facilitate the learning. Thanks!

I think some of the same qualities required by students such as time management. Also there needs to be some type of individual interaction with each student (acknowledgment, feedback, something) - it makes them feel recognized and special.

Pandora,

When we can recognize students for their work, they are more motivated. Interaction can also boost their motivation. Thanks for your input.

Sign In to comment