Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Sandwich Technique

At least in feedback, it is helpful to find something good/positive to say, then add areas to improve, and then to end with something good. Chris

Christopher,

Using the sandwich approach with positive information, constructive feedback and then more positive feedback is excellent. Thanks for your input.

I believe this is part of the "One Minute Manager" concept as well. I try to establish a relationship to previous work or "getting out their own heads" to help improve "in the field".

So far this has worked for me.
THoughts?

Jennifer,

Definitely connecting the real world - their real world - to the course is essential. Thanks for your input.

Hello Colleagues, :-)

I also feel that we should use the Sandwich Technique when communicating with our students. Beginning our messages with a positive note allows students to see what they're doing correctly; it also establishes a respectful student/instructor relationship. Pointing out the students’ errors signals to the student the areas he/she needs to improve. Ending on a positive note reinforces the instructor/student relationship and encourages the student to contact the instructor for future guidance and support.

Kind regards,
Sara Fine
Online Instructor

Hi Christopher,

I agree with saying something positive right out of the gate. i find online students need a lot of encouragement - maybe because the feel disengaged from class. I try to avoid using negative words too like "wrong."

Also, I try to make myself as approachable as possible with follow-up questions like "is there anything else you need assistance with?"

Sara,

All this sandwich talk is making me hungry. :-). It is an excellent technique.

Thanks!

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Brian,

Wrong is a word students do not like to hear - none of us do. Feedback that can help students improve is be key. Thanks.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Hello,

I use this technique in every facet of my feedback. I feel that it is important to point out what the student is doing well before providing critique. It is also critical that the student knows what can be done to improve his or her work and then is given encouragement at the end of the feedback.

I feel that it is a perfect way to lift the student up- tell the student that there is room for improvement- and send them into the next unit with the confidence that improvement can be made. Brion.

Hello Sara,

I completely agree. I think that when we build a rapport with other students that it gives them a greater desire to work hard in the class. I believe that when students feel that the instructor wants them to succeed that they will work harder. Just my opinion. Brion.

Hello Jennifer,

I also try to build a rapport with a student in a similar manner. If they have much past experience- I will usually attempt to get them to bring it into the discussion. But, if they do not- I will focus on trying to get them to relate the material to the field through their research. Brion.

Brion and Sara,

Thanks for continuing the conversation. Setting the tone in the class and developing a good relationship with the students helps increase the level of learning. Thanks.

Brion and Jennifer,

Excellent. Developing that rapport will help students feel more comfortable engaging in the content and learning the material. Nice job.

Brion,

Thanks for providing evidence that the methodnworksnor at least is worth trying. Students can benefit from such feedback. Thank you.

THis is something I was introduced as a teenager learning how to teach sailing classes. I find it effective even for adult students if you can identify something positive they have done. They seem much more receptive to constructive feedback after that. Some take it out of context however and say but I did this correct whey did I get an F???

I use this tactic all the time. I use it in the online classroom, the face to face classroom and in business. Everyone wants to feel good about the work they did so this tactic really works yet the constructive feedback sandwiched in the middle helps the student focus on the criticism in a positive way. If you end with a negative statement the student sometimes gets discouraged and loses motivation. If you start with a negative comment the you have already lost them. The sandwich technique really is effective.

Leah,

Good to know it's used everywhere and it works. But, we follow up with a rubric to alleviate the questions of "Why did I get this grade?" ;-)

Dawn,

Great. Glad to see that you are using the sandwich approach and it's working for you. Thanks for sharing.

I have to confer with the rest of my fellow colleagues that the 'Sandwich Technique' is by far the most effective way in providing students with constructive feedback. Certainly, everyone is more atuned and receptive to positive statements which enhances the communication level with I2S engagement. The sandwich technique is widely used in the online delivery method. Donna

Donna,

Thanks for adding to the confirmation. ;-) We try so many things and sometimes we make things too complicated. The sandwich technique can make it more simple to provide meaningful feedback. Thank you.

Sign In to comment