Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Assessment

How would you use the Bloom's Taxonomy & Social Media Tools steps to evaluate your students' work in a social networking site?

Generational Information

One thing I found extremely important in this segment of the course is the need to identify generational information. Part of the problem here is that an instructor may assume everyone in the class approaches the subject matter in the same way as he or she might. Simply examining information available about students in the class will allow an instructor to tailor his or her facilitation to each generation represented in the class. I found it extremely important to realize that each generation has social skills that are different from members of another generation and this realization can definitely improve… >>>

Moving the Discussion Forward

Communications on discussion boards broaden the experience and knowledge of both students and instructor. An excellent way of doing this is for the person communicating to share a personal experience (if possible) demonstrating how a particular concept that is presented in the discussion board topic. When others see a concept "in action" it makes what may be very conceptual very real.

Motivating Students

Hi All, Can you all please share how you motivate or try to motivate students? I would especially love to hear it from math faculties. Math is such a subject where you either get it correct or wrong. Thus, if someone says 2 times 2 is six, it is not correct. In that case, when giving the feedback to the student, how will you word it so that it is motivating but at the same time providing good feedback to the student? How will you provide the positive feedback? How will you ensure that students feel they are valued member… >>>

Facebook

While Facebook is a popular social forum I personally don't like this medium. Regardless of what Facebook says about privacy issues - don't believe them. Too often material which is meant to remain private or restrictive becomes public or quasi-public. It is an overrated medium and everyone should be very cautious about using it.

Generational roles...another thought...

All, I like the way that the course clearly defined generational roles and how each generation thinks differently. However, in my experience I can say that I have seen all the different characteristics in each of the different roles. I have seen Gen X react they way a Boomer would react, and I have seen Gen Y act in a way that A boomer would act. So when looking at these roles, are we painting with a broad brush? Are we over-generalizing?

Culture

When communicating with e-,mail or in a discussion, I wonder if culture comes into play? In some cultures people are not treated the same. Does that behavior come out in written form?

Communication best practice

As I look at some of the really good ideas about communication, I wonder if it would help for us to talk about best practice. Also, what does not work well. For me, it seems that 80% of the time, I can communicate well with students via e-mail. Any thoughts?

Discussions

I also find it helpful to begin posting early so students who wish to take part can see that I have already started with a model post. Chris

Communication

I spend one of our live chats discussing and showing examples of specific and detailed communciation that will enhance the experience of all involved. Chris

Sandwich Technique

At least in feedback, it is helpful to find something good/positive to say, then add areas to improve, and then to end with something good. Chris

Telephones

I find it helpful to sometimes talk with students on the telephone to aid in the reduction of stress over feedback and grades. Chris

I Find Showing Interest In Helping Students

really goes a long way in their drive to succeed.

I Use Pink Floyd Style Use of Graphics To

help students remember important points. People remember pictures as representations of ideas. Mind conditioning.

High Quality Online Instructors

Aside from being an organized individual, what characteristics do you think determine an effective Online Instructor?

Discussion Board Participation

Any thoughts on how to get the social loafers to participate more in the Discussion Boards?

Taking Critiques Personal

What feedback tools can an instructor use so that a student does not take a critique personal?

Telephone Communication and Online Instruction

I have found a dramatic increase in Discussion Board participation when I call a student, introduce myself (before the course starts)and get a little personal with regards to what he wants and expects from the course. What does everyone think about giving out their personal number to students?

Assessment of Use of Blogs

As an online instructor, how would you assess students' use of blogging?

Blog Usage

As an online instructor, how do you see yourself using blogs as part of your online course?