Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Culture

When communicating with e-,mail or in a discussion, I wonder if culture comes into play? In some cultures people are not treated the same. Does that behavior come out in written form?

Dale,

I'm sure. We always have to think about culture. I have had students from other cultures who don't ask questions - very shy - whether F2F or online. They are used to holding the professor in high regard and used to sitting and listening and not engaging. I have simply explained, "In this course, we engage in the content by. . . ." I tell them to earn a high grade, they need to be engaged.

There are several layers to this question. One of these layers... The student's own culture is apparent in their phrasing of questions and their communication with the instructor and peers.

Hala,

Absolutely. Students' culture, experiences (good and bad), generation, etc. all play a part in their actions and questioning. Good point.

Dale,

I think you have brought up a great point. Not only culture but age, gender etc.. I believe have to be considered. Communication between people of different cultures and age are definitely different. For example: The kids of today to not approach people with the same amount of respect as the older generation.

All needs to be considered.

William Huber

William and Dale,

Yes, it gives us more to think about. You're right in that we need to consider everything. Thanks for your input.

Indeed! Considering culture can show much needed sensitivity and empathy towards students. As a result, students will undoubtedly become more engaged and motivated when they come to understand that the instructor cares!

Michael,

The more we understand people/students I general, the better. Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Dale,

I think so, yes. It's easy to forget that cultural norms are always shifting, and that text abbreviations in emails, for example, aren't frowned upon by younger students. Having a code of conduct can provide guidance for behavior.

Michael and Dale,

You're right. We have to keep up to date with these changes and have an appropriate code of conduct in place. Thanks for your input.

Yes it does. I find that many students have no idea what a greeting is or salutation. I attribute this to the texting mentality that has been permeated the culture in our world today.

Steven ,

That is for sure. We need to continue to teach our students about professional communication.

Thanks.

Dale this is an excellent subject. As a constructivist educator I believe that culture is interwoven in every interaction. All things education need to keep in mind the context of culture and the lens our students use to view themselves and others. It will become even more important if the students are not able to use this online environment to expand the ways of knowing because they believe that they will not be treated the same within this online class. Laying the groundwork for a safe and respectful place online will be utmost. This will enhance the experience of the students especially ones that have reservation about being treated fairly.

Monica and Dale,

I like that you know you are a constructivist. The experience students have can be enhanced through interaction and engagement. We all develop a classroom culture and we want it to be a positive learning experience. Thank you.

I think it has a LOT to do with how students communicate, Dale. I find that some cultures are very timid about approaching an instructor via email for clarification, and it may take a couple of weeks for me to see a pattern that I can latch on to. Communication style is something online learning does not always provide a large spectrum for, and sometimes we actually find ourselves training students how to take the classes as well as learn the course material.

Katina,

You bring up some good points. Thanks for continuing the conversation with Dale and providing some more for us to think about.

This is a great question and topic. Particularly since student groups have never been more diverse. How to make them all work together effectively? This is where the importance of setting those guidelines, rules and regulations become critical. i have found that most students, particularly those who may be from another culture, are truly wanting to know how to interact properly. They often have the best manners of all.

Pandora,

Good point about those students from another culture. We all want to know how to act properly. The guidelines you provide are important. Thanks!

Sign In to comment