Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Students

Hi All,

Can you all please share how you motivate or try to motivate students? I would especially love to hear it from math faculties.

Math is such a subject where you either get it correct or wrong. Thus, if someone says 2 times 2 is six, it is not correct. In that case, when giving the feedback to the student, how will you word it so that it is motivating but at the same time providing good feedback to the student? How will you provide the positive feedback?

How will you ensure that students feel they are valued member of the community?

Thank You,
Srabasti Dutta

Hello Srabasti,

we are all motivated by different things. During week one of the course, I like to reach out to students via phone and welcome them to the classroom. I also take this time to offer my assistance. This breaks the barriers that students have with reaching out to their instructors.

Yvette Jimmerson MBA,RHIT

When I first "meet" my online students (this occurs in a live chat lecture and in my "expectations for this course" document)I make several suggestions for how they can be successful in an online course. These include setting aside specific times each week for reading, research, discussion board posting, drafting homework assignments, responding to discussion board postings, and creating the final homework version and submitting it. I suggest that they actually block out times on their calendars or schedulers so that they get used to following a set schedule, explaining that time gets away from us and when there is no scheduled classes or activities, time management becomes an important part of succeeding in any online course. Many students have told me that this was a great suggestion and helped them better organize themselves for success. If I spot a student struggling with time management, or when one asks how they can improve performance in class, I send them a document suggesting these and other tips.

I would suggest to keep the focus on the learning 'process' and focus less on the end result. While your example may be true for grade school mathematics, most problems from geometry through calculus require a multi-step process for which partial credit is more often given than not. Whatever the level, praise the progress the student makes in their process of problem solving and the motivation for the student to learn will grow as they see/hear you illustrate/tell them that they are successfully getting closer to the solution.

I work very hard to motivate students because this plays a huge role in retention...even more so than their final grades.

I will typically be sure I reach out to a student once the first set of grades are posted if they earned a C or below.

I personalize my email with their name and I entitle the subject, "Please Read & Respond." In the email, I reassure them that there is a real human being on the other side of our classroom and that above all else, I am rooting for their success. I then encourage them to read the formative feedback I provided in the grade book...and when they respond, let me know if they have any questions.

I also point out learning labs I recommend they take to address their academic areas of deficiency.

And lastly, I give them my Google number that rings to my cell or home and tell them to text me or call me if they need to.

I had 125 students between my 4 classes last week and only had about 15 students call me total in the 5-week session. And probably about 25 students text me a quick question. But, in my student evaluations, over 60 of the students mentioned that they felt we were connected because I provided a "home" number where they could reach me. Most of them never used it; however, it made them feel as if they could reach out and touch me when they needed some extra help or encouragement.

Srabasti,

I think you might try tying math real world. Math is about relationships and I think students don't even know when they are using it! (My two cents worth)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Joseph,

I agree with you. I also create tutorials that address that so I can refer back to those resources.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

MaryCatherine,

You make a great point about focusing on process!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Chastity,

it is so much hard work and you do so much! You make an effort to reach your students and your students realize that. Thank you for sharing.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I have discussions that are more apt to get many answers and then provide many resources for the students such as videos or online links.

Another way to get them in the discussion boards is to give extra credit for posting a question or responding to another question by another student. They seem to do very well with this.

Deb Moerland

I typically, share a bit of my personal story with students. It tends to let students know that there is no need to be uncomfortable in the class. Their best bet is to be their selves in the classroom.

I encourage students to use their own experiences as examples. Once students feel valuable in the classroom, they are motivated to participate to the fullest extent. They feel comfortable with sharing.

I also find, that allowing students to share allows them to create and find similarities between them, that they wouldn't normally consider. Building learning relationships that last through their programs.

Thank you,
Quiana Dickenson

Deborah,

You make a great point. It is important to look at discussion questions to make sure the illicit responses that are rich. That is our responsibility.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Quiana,

You are right. You have to model the type of communication you want. If you want students to share you have to share. Good post.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi! I try for positive reinforcement of what the student might have done correctly. Sometimes my response will be "This is a good start! Take a look at question #2 and try it again." Usually the second attempt is the correct answer.
Tina Cressman

Tina,

Good point. We have to use feedback as a way to engage students with us; in learning.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I know is hard to provide feedback that the student may be discouraged. However, start by thanking the students for trying. Then provide the constructive feedback followed by few tips on learning and then close it with another positive note such as "I know you can do it better next time" or let them know you are there to guide them.

Tammy,

You are correct. You have to continue the dialog to help the student through the troubled time. You may have to provide that students with an online "mentor" in the course that can help lead them through a course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think the most important thing is keeping a positive attitude and avoiding any kind of negativity. I've seen students get angry and lash out, but most of the time that's just stress and frustration talking, and it's easy to work past that but only if I keep my cool. If I stay positive I can get them back on a motivated footing much more quickly than if I speak harshly to them or focus on how they're wrong about one thing or another.

Pat,

As we say in the south, "you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!" That is the truth. Keeping your cool in an online course is important and is a skill of the online instructional guide. You are to point to the items that will get them back on track.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hello All,

When an instructor accords students with respect including their opinions, students are motivated knowing that they are respected. Even when such opinion on a particular issue is not correct, using a polite language to correctively address the issue, motivates students as well including those not willing to interact with others in class. In general, it takes little things taken for granted to motivate students. The most important of all is making the classroom very conducive for students' learning.

Thanks.

Victor Anyanwu

Sign In to comment